Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

? for those who sawzalled their front and rear fenders

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bajaviking, Jun 14, 2005.

1. bajaviking

bajaviking 1/2 ton status

I am planning on just cutting up to a little below the bolts on the inner fenders, did you guys just cut through the outer and inner fender at the same time and how hard was it? It is my trail rig but I still want it to look at least somewhat decent.

2. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

i didn't find any single method to work everywhere that I trimmed... sometimes you can only do the outter... sometimes both... othertimes the sawzall is useless but a grinder/cutoff wheel was perfect. Ya kinda have to look at each part you're doing and decide what would be best. Its not hard, I had never cut sheet metal in my life when I trimmed my K5s fenders and I think it looks good... not that I care about looks much, but hey, there it is. :)

j

3. 4wheelin4Jesus

4wheelin4Jesus 1/2 ton status

i agree with jek, you will not use the same tool all the way thru the fender. I did mine a couple of months ago. The cleanest cutting tool i found was the metal cut of wheel on my grinder. I think that a high speed air saw would be the same. I was able to lightly cut into the metal making a line for me to follow. The sawzall will cut faster, but will beat the crap out of you. You do have to be careful not to cut too far into the inside fender wells. Its going to be really tuff not to. Good luck!

4. captaininsano

captaininsano 1/2 ton status

5. k5freak44

k5freak44 1/2 ton status

I did mine recently with a sawzall and heres how the drivers side came out

[​IMG]

the saw got away from me and i cut above the inner lip wich i was not trying to do and i think it kinda looks bad.

[​IMG]

here is my pass side. i started at the top with a dremel and then cut from there.
    this method works verywell and i recomend using it.

NOTE- I WAS RETRIMMING MY FENDERS AND IN THOSE PICTURES I HAD ONLY RETRIMMED THE FRONT PART OF THE FENDER>