Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

For those who use their K5s as Daily Drivers

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by andhar, Nov 22, 2004.

1. andhar

andhar 1/2 ton status

I am considering using my K5 as a daily driver actually I have no choice until I get my Impala fixed.

SO I am wondering how many of you guys use Ks are your dailies and what kinds of stuff I need to do or watch out for OR any advice you have.

2. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I used to DD my K5. The main thing to watch for is what you are doing offroad. I always was easy and tried to keep offroading to a minimum because I needed it the next day. Just take care of it so it will be driveable and watch your temp, oil pressure, and volt guage. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Oh, and watch for all the money flying out of your bank account from what gas costs these days. /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif

3. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

been running mine daily about 9 months now. 400 miles a week or so..

its all the stupid little stuff that comes up... maintenence items... battery, belts, brakes, fluids, etc...

i finally came into a little coin so i can do a few decent mods other than the standard stuff.... TBI toys, headers and duals, shifter....

4. 86chevybanshee

86chevybanshee 1/2 ton status

i use my shortbed as a dd, i sometimes do a little wheeling on lunch break /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif, ive noticed all my pay check goes into my gas tank. but basically like posted above, just keep up the maintence stuff, and be a little bit more careful when u wheel it /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

5. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Its all about taking care of it . Oil changes , lubing zerks , air and fuel filters . Do it more often than you need to . Mileage will be allright if you don't get on it from stoplights . No reason you can't drive to work , then go play on weekends . I do it everyday , since April 2001 /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[​IMG]

6. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

Idd mine. Hell, its the only car I have. I also like to take it out and wheel it pretty hard sometimes. I feel comfortable taking mine on any length road trip. As long as you know all of the major parts are good, then you should be fine. Just dont get on it too much to cut gas costs, and keep the tires rotated frequently. No use pissing money away on expensive mud tires just to let them go to crap.
    -Harrison

7. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

I DD mine. I beat the snot out of it on the weekends (paul can confirm this) and drive to class/work all week. I don't have a backup rig either. They are more dependable if you are easy on them however. I wouldn't worry about it if you keep up on your maintanence.

8. 84blazin

84blazin 1/2 ton status

Mines my DD also.. I just do light stuff until I can get everything updated. Hi to all you Arizona guys /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Bought my truck in January 1999 as my first vehicle.. Been driving it every day since. /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif So almost 6 years.

Gas is expensive. Don't run swampers on the street for your DD. /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

10. k5redneck

k5redneck 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Hi to all you Arizona guys /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
    /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

i use my 74 blazer as my dd and i love it. there is nothin better than pulling up to a stop light in a top less/full of mud blazer and having 4 girls start talking to u about your blazer. but i dont call it my dd anymore it now has become the every day wheeler /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif

11. k5redneck

k5redneck 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Don't run swampers on the street for your DD. /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

im with u on that one /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif
    [​IMG]

12. 84blazin

84blazin 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    Don't run swampers on the street for your DD. /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

im with u on that one /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif
    [​IMG]

[/ QUOTE ]

lol

13. bigblock44k5

bigblock44k5 1/2 ton status

Ive been DD'ing mine for about 6 months now since my car broke down while i was on leave in NJ and Im stationed in FL. You should be fine with you 33's but you didnt mention how much lift you have. The only thing I have had a problem with is changing a rear driveshaft u-joint every so often due to the angle of the dangle.

14. southernspeed

southernspeed 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I DD my '91. I've got 160,000m on it now and its as good as gold. Slight stumble on cold start up for a few seconds but other than that it;s been ultra reliable. Bust a heater core once and have knocked out 2 sets of sway bar bushings. Tows my race bike and carries my enduro bike on a rack. I wouldn't hesitate taking this truck anywhere, any distance. Slowly getting my '78 to the same level of dependability. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

15. ZooMad75

ZooMad75 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

My 75 gets driven every day when I'm home. It takes me to the airport when I travel too. Sure the highway rpm is a little on the high side, but I'd rather be in my Blazer in a snowstorm than my other vehicles.

Like it was stated before I have had to change a rear u-joint out a couple of times this year due to crappy driveline angles. Keep the maintence up, the right foot light and drive. I actually think that keeping them active, driving them often is not a bad thing. Seals stay lubed, can't dry out. Gas is always fresh (when you put 31 gallons in every week it better be!). The battery stays charged up, everything stays is good working order. Matter of fact I've had less trouble out of a almost 30 year old truck than I've had with reviving a 8 year old car that I parked for 6 months.

Drive them, it's what they were made for anyway! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

16. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

[​IMG]

I daily drive mine 300 miles a week, swampers and all. And yes, thats my spare on the front, i had an incident on the way down to the badlands Sunday.

17. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

How many miles a day do you plan on driving it? I would suggest you make sure everyhitng works, Lights, brakes, wipers, defrost, heater, do all the basic maintence.

I used to drive mine every day, with 42s on it. I have a couple other vehicles and hadn't in a while. Now that I got the TPI in and OD, I have been driving it a lot again (man I missed it so much!) I have 38" Radials on it now. Those are the tires to get if you want Swampers! I don't care about the gas prices, its just I dont have a good enough job to afford it. Hopefully in a couple of weeks that will change! /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

18. mxfireman

mxfireman 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Mines my DD also.. I just do light stuff until I can get everything updated. Hi to all you Arizona guys /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Back @ ya!!! Mine is not a DD since I work in California & live in Arizona. When I am home I use it to drive every where and park the commuter /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

19. andhar

andhar 1/2 ton status

thx guys, I only plan on driving roughly maybe 200 miles a week at most.
    I am kinda scared of the gas pump considering its 2.07 for the cheap shite, my heater works just takes a lil while and it DOES stumble on a cold start (damn carb) but its been very reliable to me since I have had it.

Bablazer did a good job when he put her togather but still has her issues, Valve cover seals are shot and so is the timing chain cover gasket.

thinking of doing the timing gears and wheel bearings next.

20. BlazerWheels

BlazerWheels 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I am kinda scared of the gas pump considering its 2.07 for the cheap shite,

[/ QUOTE ]

2.07 is a dream that I don't forsee being back at...2.31 here...

It is my DD...Love it...wouldn't want anything else (except a little better gas mileage)