Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

for those with 6" lifts or bigger and 38s

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by DesertDueler, Sep 10, 2002.

1. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

for those with 6\" lifts or bigger and 38s

Who has the softest ride. I am thinking of going to an 8" lift so I can put 38.5s or bigger on my burb. Its my tow vehicle, so no I am not cutting the fenders alot. Or if anyone has an idea on how to make them fit I am listening. I currently have 4" springs up front and 6" in the rear. My plan was 8" springs up front, and my 6" springs with the shackle flip. The most I tow is my firebird with trailer, which is about 5,000 lbs max. Help me out.

Dan

2. Storm Trooper

Storm Trooper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Dillon Colorado, Hang'in in the mountains. Renting
    Re: for those with 6\" lifts or bigger and 38s

Stay out of the mountains unless you have some mighty gears. Bigger tires will mean a loss of torque but once you get it going it might work. From what I have heard, if you loose to much, it will kill your mileage. just my $.01

3. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

Personnaly Id be leary of towing w/ 38s Dan. Thats a bunch of sidewall to flex. I had a friend tow a burb on a trailer loaded w/ scrap metal that he was getting rid of, it weighed in around 10000 lbs. His rig was on 44s. The way he described it, it was like Mr Toads Wild Ride.

Mine is 6" Superlift w/ a 3" body lift and a bit of trimming to clear 38 TSLs on a 12 wide wheel. A 10 wide you may not have to trim. They only come close at full lock.

4. backyardbuilt

backyardbuilt 1/2 ton status

I have 38.5x11 boggers on 8" rims with 6"susp. and a 3" body I have skyjacker springs and I still hit the front every once in a while with the fenders bent in almost 2 inches from a huge bump I didn't see till I hit it. I would not tow with anything bigger than a 35" tire.

5. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Dan,

Give serious consideration to an "airbag assist" setup on the rear of your truck. You can use a reasonably soft spring for regular driving and wheeling, abd then when you tow you can pump up the airbags to add addtional "spring rate" to compensate for the trailer.

One of the magazines showed the installation. It wasn't particularly expensive as I recall, and if you already have onboard air it would be really easy.

Just a thought.

/forums/images/icons/smile.gif

6. DesertDueler

Well, I have always towed with 35s and had no problems. I just want a bigger truck now, and thats why I was thinking 35s. I could always go 37s, but I really wasnt bigger. BTW the gears are 4.56s, and I dont use od when I am towing, so I need a bigger tire to keep the rpms down. If I am going to tow in the hills, I will put the 35s back on, and go 65 mph down the freeway.

Dan

7. Super_S

Super_S Registered Member

I think its totally do-able. Go with the new front springs and the shackle flip (it works great). Just don't flex it out too much, or you will have "clearanced fenders" wether you want them or not. If you want to run 38's I would recommend the 10-ply Radial TSL's. Got a buddy that tows his 8500lbs truck around all over without any probs on the same tires.

8. MudbogAD

MudbogAD 1/2 ton status

He's only talking about 5,000 lbs. max. I thing 38's would be fine with that. It depends what your comfortable with. /forums/images/icons/smirk.gif

9. 72THING

72THING 1/2 ton status

Skykacker Softrides and Tough Country EZ Rides both ride pretty good. I would use a radial tire for any towing and/or extended street use, like a radial TSL.

Will

10. jackedjimmy350

jackedjimmy350 1/2 ton status

my buddy had 6" tuff country's and 44s...rode, and flexed pretty well

11. Jay73K20

Jay73K20 Registered Member

What about 6" of lift and bushwhackers cut out fender flares. I was thinking about running that set up with 38" 15.5 Pernalli Dirt Jones. I would also consider air bags for towing.

12. DesertDueler

I have TC ez rides n my Jimmy, so I know they ride nice, I was just trying to figure out if 6" is enough or not. I can always trim the fenders, but dont want to hack too bad. I could do the cut-out flares. That would work. I dont have to worry about ripping the cut-outs off since I dont really wheel with it anyways.

Dan

13. BLUESMAN

BLUESMAN 1/2 ton status

Phoenix(but it\'s a dry heat...like an oven!)AZ.

Hey Dan,If you want I have a couple 38 TSL's that you could try and see where/if they rub.They are even on 15x10" rims.Come on over and try them or take 'em with you.When you're done with them,bring 'em back.Mike

14. DesertDueler

Sounds like a good idea. I will let you know as soon as I get the lift on and I will try them out. How wide are they?

Dan

15. BLUESMAN

BLUESMAN 1/2 ton status

Phoenix(but it\'s a dry heat...like an oven!)AZ.

I beleive they are around 15-16" wide,maybe less since they are on 10" wide rims.Let me know,I can mount different rims on them(I have an mounter).Mike

16. chvyhs

chvyhs 1/2 ton status

Pm Ken, he runs 42's with 10" of lift on his Crewcab Dually with a full cabover camper and a triple axle boat trailer.

I've been pulling about 5-8K lbs with 38" TSL Radials and I haven't nocticed anything bad other than my 3.73's really suck.