Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

For those with a full topper

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by shane74, Dec 17, 2002.

1. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

What is the trick to getting the doors to seal up at the top corner? I have tried everything and the seals are brand new. I am talking about where the rubber pieces at the top of the dorrs make contact with the seals in the top and the windsheild header. I am going nuts trying to get this thing to seal up! /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif It leaks pretty bad, and I don't want to have to replace the floor! Any ideas??

2. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

You mean all that monsoon rain we've been getting has been getting ya?!?!

My 72 and my 75 both had leaky matchups............never have seen a full topper that sealed after a few years out in the real world. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

3. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

You mean it's supose to seal? It keeps me from having to crack my window when I'm smoking LOL.
    Beater 74 has good seals. maybe he will post up

4. MJF

MJF 1/2 ton status

I just wasted $400 to replace all the weatherstrip rubber on my 73. The pass side door has a 3" gap at the top.

That on top of the fact that my drivers side window fell out & the rear window won't roll up means my inside is soaked. Oh well, maybe it'll be a summer truck. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

5. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

Both my '73's were sealed very well. My main one I would take to the power wash and not a drop would get it.
    I think at one time I may have padded the back-side of that portion of the weather strip a little to make it stick out more.

Neither of the trucks were molested and were in pretty factory condition.
    That is before I tore them both down for my project. They were both completly rusted out (Michigan) and had over 200,000mi each anyhow .

I think it's just luck of the draw, my Dad bought a '74 new back in '74 and he said it was in the dealer twice for leaking, and they still couldn't fix it...same story with one of his good buddies...

BlazerMan

6. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

The door hinges have to be in good shape and adjusted properly. Otherwise the glass won't meet up with the weatherstrip correctly. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif My '75 doesn't leak at all on the drivers side, but the passenger side doesn't line up right. When I replace the doors I plan to fix it. (And also finally install the original GM seal set that I bought probably 12 years ago!) /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

7. supersize75

supersize75 1/2 ton status

my 75 has bran new doors from a 76-91 series blazer from lmc and I had to cut them to sixe the top is in storage so I hope I get It right /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

8. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

I have a tiny bit of play in the door hinges, and I did notice that the rubber caps have some wear on them. I will replace those and replace my hinge pins and bushings and see if that will help. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif Thanks guys.

9. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

Yep, I'll have a whole 'nuther ecosystem going on in there pretty soon!

10. TopOff

TopOff 1/2 ton status

I believe the glass is adjustable...

IIRC the glass lever can be adjusted to come closer to the top of hte seal.

They can definately be adjusted on how far up the glass goes.

My problem(s) is with where the door meats the top where all three pieces (door, windshield, and top) meet. I need the two pieces that go on the top, the inner and out weatherstripping. That corner piece IIRC that is part of the inner weatherstripping on the top.

Good luck.

11. beater74

beater74 1/2 ton status

you mean those are seals. yeh i wasted $200+ on replacing those hard top seals. my passenger door seals great nota leak but i replace my drivers door with some PEICE OF CRAP MADE IN CHINA DOOR /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif (had to cut the window frame off)i mean this thing won't line up or even come close to fitting, especially where the top of the window frame meets the top. so in other words in leaks like a sh!t. if you have good top seals and your door frame end caps are also good and it still leaks. my guess would be you doors are saging a little and mught need to be adjusted

12. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

That is where my problem is too. I need to buy the rubber caps for the top of the door. It looks like I'll need to figure out how to adjust the glass to seal up. Maybe I need to replace the window regulators or?? You should be able to buy all of the seals you need through LMC. That is where I got all of mine.

13. 74beater

74beater 1/2 ton status

where did you get the seals from..i need the little rubber piece at the top of the door just above the wing window...
    try some 1" wide grey closed foam weather stripping along the door frame..worked like a charm on my tailgate...
    74 jimmy 350.350.203.44.12 35mt's

ALL HAIL THE MIGHTY SAWZALL /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

14. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

I found out that I stay drier driving in the rain with the top off then with it on

15. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

You can get the rubber pieces from LMC. They are like $35 each!! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif They must be made out of some RARE rubber to cost that much! I tried the 1" foam, didn't work for me.... /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif

16. 74beater

74beater 1/2 ton status

dude for 35 bucks i can do with out and just listen to the wind...i live in texas,,it only rains 60 days a year...

ALL HAIL THE MIGHTY SAWZALL /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

17. supersize75

supersize75 1/2 ton status

I live in Arizona we only get 10 inches a year can go 140 days with out rain, went almost 180 days a couple of years ago.
    or so says my eco teacher /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

18. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

No probs here I guess I got lucky.... /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif