Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

? for those with Ford 57" springs out back.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mofugly13, Jan 31, 2005.

1. mofugly13

mofugly13 1 ton bucket of rust Premium Member

I have built my own perches for the Ford 57" springs I plan on installing in the rear of my K5. I am going with ORD's flip brackets, swapped left for right and right for left, as I have seen reccommended here. My question is: How far off center should I drill the perches for the spring center pin? I read the old writeup on echobit about the ford 57" install, and the member who wrote it redrilled the springpack for a new center pin location, but I don't remember how far forward, or back it was drilled. Anyone know the best distance to offset the spring perches from the center pin?

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

That was my write up on the Echobit site. I drilled the spring pack at 26.5" from the front eye. Stock for the 57's is 25"-32". The stock 52's have the hole at 26", but when you do a shackle flip it moves the diff forward a little in the wheelwell. The extra 1/2" gets the tires centered in the wheelwell again.

An easier way is to drill a second hole in the spring perch itself 1.5" forward of the stock hole and leave the springs alone. (or run a zero rate with a 1.5" offset)

Rene

3. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Sky has a shackle flip bracket for 2 different spring setups. 52's and 56's. If you used the hole for the 56's you could redrill the spring perch and have the setup you need for less money and hassle then the ORD kit.

[​IMG]

www.sky-manufacturing.com It is about half way down the main page.

I was really impressed with Sky's quality and customer service when I ordered from them and recommend them highly.

Harley

4. mofugly13

mofugly13 1 ton bucket of rust Premium Member

Thanks for the info, guys. I already have the ORD shackle flip brackets, and I am planning on drilling the spring perches in order to move the diff. I am going to mount the ORD brackets on opposit sides that they were intended, which moves the shackle mounting point back a bit, in order to use the 57" springs. I am going to be replacing the front spring mounts as well, so I suppose I could move those rearward a bit. I donno yet, I'll go do some measuring tomorrow. BTW, Harley, I know the SKY brackets are cheaper than ORD's, but I find no hassle with the ORD flip. Not that it's worth all the extra $$ I paid, but the ORD brackets come nicely painted.:dunno:

5. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I don't mean to imply that there is anything wrong with the ORD brackets, just pointing out that the Sky brackets are predrilled for 56's and are cheaper. I didn't know that you already had the ORD shackles.

Hassle is probably the wrong word to use in conjunction with that product since it slipped my mine that you can swap them side to side for 56's. Hassle is the right word that I would use with the customer service I get from ORD though, especially in comparison with Sky.

Harley