Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

for those with plows...

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by beater_k20, Aug 7, 2005.

1. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

the front springs on my K20 are worn badly. so badly, that its a pain to drive with the blade off, as they're constantly bottoming out on the bumpstops. i was thinking about replacing them. it would be cheaper to buy a set of small lift springs for it. i'm thinking about a 2.5" lift, and when the tires need replaced step up to a set of 33s. what springs would you recomend for a truck that carries a plow?

2. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

rough country lol.

when you picked up that truck from me, my front springs were just as bad as you described. with the 4" rancho springs on it and the plow i didn't even feel it up there.

what my buddy usually does on a plow truck, is take 2 good set2 of 2 leaf front springs and take the bottom leaf of one and add it to the other. you have to cut the front off to fit around the eye. its a cheap 3 spring leaf that holds up to a plow for quite a while.

3. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

lift springs aren't designed to carry the xtra weight.
    Although it makes the ride rougher, I use add-a-leafs. They ride decent with the blade on, but harsh when it's off. I got used to it with my other truck. I also put blocks in the rear just to keep the truck level. My buddy used a set of Honda(yes honda) coil springs in the front of his truck. Fitted them between the bumpstop and the spring pad. No noticeable difference in ride quality with blade off, but held the blade up nice and still had room to travel.

If you are interestedhttp://coloradok5.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1279882#post1279882

4. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

my '79 K20 rode great with the blade on or off. its still sitting right down the street, maybe i can steal the leaf springs off of it. :D

seriously, i'll have to go check it out and see what its got up front. maybe adding leaves from another pack will work. guess i'll have to go take that extra pair of stock front springs out of the scrap pile. :doah:

as for lift springs being "not designed to carry the extra weight", all of the guys running around here with heavy winch bumpers, winches, etc. are doing the exact same thing. i havent seen a lift spring yet that had a weight limit on it.

5. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

the factory leafs are tapered leafs. you need to use tapered leafs to add to them or thay can break early. best bet is to go to spring shop and ask them for hd fronts for a plow setup. i use to work at a spring shop and thay have them up to 5 leafs. and thay are setup with regular leafs like all the rears arer non tapered.

j.c.whittny has them listed also. just a idea for ya.

6. dieselponyexpress

dieselponyexpress 1/2 ton status

Somewhere in skyjacker's online catalog (the pdf document), they mention extra leaves for hd applications (winch, plow, diesel).

Don't know what to do if having all of the hd stuff (1ton frame, winch, diesel) although (look at my signature :haha:).

7. 3rdshiftdesign

3rdshiftdesign 1/2 ton status

I have a set of 9 leaf (yes 9) 4" rancho front springs on my blazer. I plowed this year with them, and they are decent. I didnt have any shocks on it, but with the blade it was a decent ride. Front of the truck dropped about 1/2" when I raised it ( 7 1/2 western ).... I may just end up taking two out for a bit more flex, but it does ok now. I will dig up a better picture of the springs but here it is:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I don't know if Rancho still makes these, I've had them for a few years. Was told they were for a big block or a diesel.