Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

? for those with Smitty Built Roll Bars

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 86blazerk5, Mar 3, 2002.

1. 86blazerk5

86blazerk5 1/2 ton status

How much do they cost and do they bolt in? Is there and welding required? thanks,
    ike

2. Sparky87k5

Sparky87k5 1/2 ton status

Comes as 3 pieces, bolts in and is pretty easy to install. If memory is correct, cost me about $160 delivered. Hoop is one piece, down tubes are other 2 pieces. No welding required.

3. four_by_ken

four_by_ken 1/2 ton status

Is it just a hoop, or a full cage?

Ken H.

'86 K5 in parts
    1-ton 454 44 TSLs

4. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Isaac,

I have a 6-Point Smiitybilt in my K5, (installed by previous owner)....from what I can tell the rear 4-point is one-piece and the front two "legs" are another section that gets welded in.

As far as the mounts to the floor, it's all setup for bolting down. But to be honest, the location of the front bars makes it almost impossible to get bolts in....because the cab support and rocker box is in the way underneath.....there's no way to see the sheetmetal you want to attach to....

5. Sparky87k5

Sparky87k5 1/2 ton status

Pretty much identical to rollbar that was an option in the 70's, just a hoop with 2 support down bars that go to the floor just behind wheel wells. You can find out more at:
    http://www.smittybiltinc.com/

6. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

My K/5 came with the rear hoop. I bought the smittybuilt front cage part and you have to cut it to the appropriate length, and notch it (to where it meets the other tubes) and then weld it into place.

It comes with plates for the floorboards, and Like greg said, on the first gen's they're a bitch because the rocker box is in the way... I cut a small access hole in the bottom of my rocker box large engough for me to get my hand into to hold a wrench on the bottom side for the nuts & washers that bolt the front part of the cage in. Then I made a cover for the hole I cut so water, mud, sand, etc won't get in there.

<a target="_blank" href=http://communities.msn.com/Ryans1972Blazer/picsofryansblazer.msnw?Page=5>Pic's of the cage</a>