Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

for you 63" guys

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by chevyguybc, Nov 9, 2006.

1. chevyguybc

chevyguybc 1/2 ton status

hey guys, quick question, found a cheap pair locally, but they are cheap because the 3rd leaf down is broken on one.......

i was looking them and it looks like id remove it anyways

what do you guys runn

this setis a 90 with 5 plus overload i belive

im also looking at getting them rearched, i run a 77 jimmy and its gunna be smallblock 350 4 speed, loaded up with camping gear sometimes, but mostly wheeling

2. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

thay are 64" eye to eye length .

#1 = broken leaf is stress passed on to others and will break sooner. = wast of money.

#2 = rearching is big waste of money. do a search in the garage on this and find out its not worth it.

find some others. in better shape. heck if you were closer i have a few sets and 1 set is new. i use to work springs and the guy who was my boss has been in the bissness close to 30 years. he also said and wont rearch springs.

if you rearch to much thay wont fit in the hangers correctly as the leaf length for a given arch is now to short.

3. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

I agree partially
    Rearching to regain and inch or 2 is OK if done correctly where you shot peen the springs after you rearch them to make them memorize the arch.
    More than that and yeah the spring is too short.
    As for the broken leaf if removed you will end up with a soft spring, so if you know that and you don't intend to overload it then go for it.
    I do know that those who used the 1/2 ton springs (3 leaves) always ended up with bent springs on the fullsize trucks, 3/4 ton 5 leaves are better.

4. cjjones

cjjones 1/2 ton status

Factory replacement springs aren't that much money from good spring shops, I purchased all corners for under 500 bucks up here.

5. chevyguybc

chevyguybc 1/2 ton status

try 20 bucks for this set of 63s.. even for mock up they are worth it, plus ive got spare leafs

good info about the re arch i wont go that way.. just gotta find some used lifted ones theni guess or re arch another set