Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

?? for you gravity brake bleed folk

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by MudNurI, Mar 3, 2003.

1. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

Explain if you can- exactly how this is suppose to work...when we pulled the tubes off the master cylinder- none of the fluid came out- pulled off the rest of the tubes- no fluid came out- so exactly how is this going to bleed the lines if we remove the bleeder screws? I just cant figure out how it's gonna "pull" the fluid through.............. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Brandy

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

The last two times I had to bleed brakes I filled the resevoir and pulled the bleeders out. Within 45 minutes or so I had fluid leaking out at the bleeder holes, first one and then the other. I popped the bleeders back in and bled it like usual to make sure there was no more air and carried on to the fronts...

After not having a MC attached to my brake lines for over a month they were dry and I had no trouble doing it this way. I have had issues in the past with ruining a MC after pumping it the full stroke repeatedly trying to get the brakes bled.

Rene

3. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

As you have found, fluid doesn't come out right away. The way it works is that the fluid in the reservoir is higher than the bleeders. Over time (usually more than expected), gravity pulls the fluid down and eventually to the bleeders. Once one starts to bleed fairly steady, you can put the bleeder back in. As each successive one starts to bleed, you do the same. Once they are all "pre-bled" you can bleed them in the normal manner, but watch the reservoir at all times to make sure it has fluid in it, otherwise it will suck air back into the system.

The other option is to take it somewhere and have it powerbled.

Good luck and keep us posted.