Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

For you guys that trailer your Blazer.....tongue weight

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 6.2Blazer, Jul 31, 2003.

1. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

This was brought up a while ago but didn't get much of a response....

I'm looking at getting a trailer but I'm worried about being able to get enough tongue weight. The reason is that due to the width I will either have to go to drive-over or removeable fenders, either way you can really only pull the Blazer forward until the rear tires get to the fenders. Based on measurements I've taken of trailers it looks as if the front axle will only be maybe 6" forward of the fenders.

What do you think?

2. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Rule of thumb on touge weight is 10% of the totaly weight. So if you have 7500lb between trailer and load you should have about 750lb of tounge weight.

3. sapper

sapper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

how do you figure that though?? are there places with scales that will help get it right?

4. 83ZZ502_Jimmy

83ZZ502_Jimmy 1/2 ton status

I agree with Grim. But with a tandem axle trailer, you can "usually" get away with a little less. A tandem axle trailer is less prone to swaying than a single axle.
    The best thing in your case is to try it out (obviously being careful), or just make removable fenders, that way you can pull up without problems.

My trucks fit between the fenders barely and I usually put the rear tires at the back of the fender or just a little past. Hope that makes sense. BTW, my trailers are 18' long

John

5. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

Since you cant always weigh what your tongue weight will be I always try and go by how much the tow vehicle is squatting in the rear. I try and keep it as level as possible or sagging just a little.
    When I hauled my Jimmy to Wellsville the last time I could just squeeze my k5 between the fenders. The front tires actually started goign up the fenders but then squeesed down in between.... I am running 35x15.50x15's on 15x10's... Not sure of the backspacing but I bet it is around 3.5-4".... My tires stick out past the fenders by about 1-2"....

6. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

another way to help the load stay level is to cycle your suspension. hook up the rears first to the frame, pull it forward a bit, this will cinch the chains beyond anything you could do by hand, and get the rear to swat a bit. then put the spanners on the front, again to the frame, i try to get some flex out of the front springs.

this helps keep the rig from bouncing on the trailer and disrupting the comfy ride of your tow rig.

7. txbluethunder

txbluethunder 1/2 ton status

i pulled mine up till the rear tires were 4 inches away from the wheel wells on a tandem. it trailer pretty well. i weight dist hitch would have been awesome on the burb. brake controller is a must though.

8. JDBlazer454

JDBlazer454 1/2 ton status

My trailer itself weighs 3500#s and my 75 blazer weighed 7200#s, total package with equipment when weighed was 11200#s. My blazer had to be driven over the fenders and the 44's did hang over a little on the front part of the bed, the rear of the front tires were 5 inches or so in front of the fender and the front of the rear tires were 5 inches of the fender. It always took a spotter to help load and get it just right. That was the best for weight distribution on our 16' tandem axle flatbed. I also used a weight distribution hitch and a sway bar.

This is the only pic of it on the trailer that I have.
    [​IMG]

9. beater74

beater74 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    and my 75 blazer weighed 7200#s,

[/ QUOTE ]
    is that with the mud or with out /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif? if that is with out the mud i would around 800# for the mud /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

10. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

either way you can really only pull the Blazer forward until the rear tires get to the fenders.

What do you think?

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you have wheel spacers or a van rear axle? On my '73 with a 3/4 ton D44 in the front and a 14BFF in the rear and 37"13x16 boggers. The front is 2-3"s wider than the rear. So the rear tires will fit between a trailers fenders when the front won't. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif