Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

For you sound guys

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by JTB, Mar 4, 2002.

1. JTB

JTB 1/2 ton status

Where are the best places to mount speakers? I have 4 6x9's, should i mount two in the doors and put the other two in back? Under the dash? Use other speakers? I don't want to spend too much money, i just want a good sound.
    Jeff

2. ErikH

ErikH 1/2 ton status

If you have a little time, build a couple boxes made of 5/8" partical board, and size them to fit in front of each wheel well. I built a couple boxes that each fit two 6" speakers and a tweeter... You shouldn't have a problem making a box to fit a couple 6x9's. For myself, I installed two more tweeters on the dashboard, and placed a subwoofer box (w/ two 10" fosgates) in the back... Amp under the driver seat. Kickass sound.

3. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Whatever you do... just don't ask Greg72.
    I hear that his stereo system sucks. /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

4. JTB

JTB 1/2 ton status

Are you trying to start problems Ryan B?
    I hear that your girlfriend is ugly, and I hear that your blazer....
    Ah, I could never talk trash about a first gen, especially one as nice as yours.
    Jeff

5. JTB

JTB 1/2 ton status

Thanks Eric, if I only use the 4 6x9's should I put two in each box in front of the wheel wells or should I get 2 of them up front somehow?
    Jeff

6. ChrisM72beast

ChrisM72beast 1/2 ton status

I've started building custom side panels where I put a Rockford Fosgate 5.5" mid and a Fosgate 1" tweet. I already had the 6x9"s in the door. I also have a small sub box in the back. Having speakers in the back definitely help with sound and imaging. You get more of a full sound. Putting down low in the front might give you a "muddy" sound. Just my 2cents.

Chris M

7. JTB

JTB 1/2 ton status

how do the 6x9's in the door sound?

8. ChrisM72beast

Gotta do some cutting. Mine are at the bottom front of the door.What you need to do is get the 6x9 template, drill a hole to start your jigsaw and cut away. Make sure you use the right kind of blade. After that drill your holes for the speaker screws and that's it. You'll want to use a polypropolene speaker cone with a weather "resistant" surround. My speakers usually last a year and a half and weather is not an issue. If your into driving through water that will reach that high, then this is not a solution.
    Hope that helps

Chris M

9. JTB

JTB 1/2 ton status

So the sound is good when the speakers are in the door at the bottom? What size speakers could I put in the dash? Would bouncing the sound off the windshield be a good idea? How do you prevent wire damage when the door opens and closes? Too many questions, I need to find a sound message board I guess.
    Jeff

10. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

JTB,

There is a place for stereo-type questions on this board.....check the main index for "Audio".....that will put you with the fanantics that can help.

One thing I will tell you about 6x9's in the lower door if that's what you decide to do....is that there are some hinge re-inforcements in the lower corner....if you start cutting with a sabersaw you might be in for a "bumpy ride" as the blade hits those and tries to jump back off the panel!!!

At least that's how my doors looked on my '72. As always, take the door panel off and examine what's really going on inside the door first. Roll the window ALL the way down and check again. There's nothing worse than installing speakers and then finding out your windows don't roll down anymore!!! /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

11. ChrisM72beast

So you gotta me questions...I gotta you answers.
    As far as the sound quality is concerned it is o.k., not great. My main purpose is for sound fill. I use a seperate amp for the 6x9s. Got an apprx 250 watt Fosgate amp for those. The wires dont get damaged all long as you use grommets in the side of the door and where the door meets. You want to use some sound deading material inside of the door and make sure that your windows have a mechanism that doesn't rattle(I need a new mechanism, mines tweeked).
    So you nexta question is...The dash.
    I'm not a big fan of the dash move because of the work involved. Taking that dash off is no joke. You could surface mount some tweets but then you're just asking to get ripped off. It would be better to add tweets in the door if you you want more fill in the front area. Just don't make them too bright sounding sense there so close to your ear. You can also put the tweets in you circular vents next to the door. Obviously you'll have to close off the heat/air that goes there but I've seen it done and it worked nicely.
    My suggestion would be to check out Greg72, He's got a sweet set-up. Think about rear side panels as an extra alternative. I'm still playing with mine(I'm getting a bigger amp for my sub/subs so things will be a moving) and when it's "completely" done and upholstered I'll put up some pics.

Hope this helps

Chris M

12. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I heard that once you get outside of Greg72's truck you can't even hear the radio anymore. And it's waay quiet if your sitting in the back seat.

You might want to get an amp to avoid this and make it so all your passengers can hear your tunes.

13. Greg72

......looks like Ryan B took his "mean pills" for the second day in a row! /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

14. JTB

JTB 1/2 ton status

As always, thanks for the help guys.
    Greg72- I was told to check out your setup, watcha got?
    Jeff

15. JTB

JTB 1/2 ton status

Nevermind, I just looked at your setup in the member's rides section. That must have taken you forever! I think that's a little out of my league at least for now, I need to spend money in other areas. Is your Blazer white now? I used to work in Fremont and I saw a beautiful white blazer in Milpitas a few times coming down 680 on the way home from work. His looked like a 4" lift with 35's though. Anyway, nice work on the stereo.
    Jeff

16. LKJR

LKJR 1/2 ton status

Ryan your cracking me up.....Greg if your lucky that bottle of pills is gonna run out pretty quick

17. Greg72

JTB,

If you're in the Bay Area.....you could always stop by for a stereo demo. My system is a little "off the deep end' but the concepts could be used on a smaller scale to make things sound really good.

One of the things that I did (which was a little extra work) was to set up switches to turn off each amplifier in the system if I wanted. That allows me to run just the subs, or just the tweets, or either set of door midranges......or any combination of speakers I want.

It is really helpful to show people which speakers are responsible for which sounds.....I think most people believe that the subwoofers are responsible for a LOT more sound than they ACTUALLY are.....actually the midrange speakers do a lot of the "bass" work too!!! /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

18. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

off the deep end

<hr></blockquote>

I think that explains alot!...and not just about the stereo...or the truck for that matter/forums/images/icons/wink.gif

19. Greg72

........or this whole K5 addiction in general !!!!

/forums/images/icons/cool.gif

ps. Nice bumper design..... /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

20. JTB

JTB 1/2 ton status

I would love a demo. I don't live in the bay area right now, I am in school in San luis Obispo but I graduate in 3 weeks. I will probably be back in Morgan Hill for spring break so I will PM you then. I like the switch idea but I probably won't go that extreme. Who knows, maybe after I see it I will change my mind.
    Jeff