Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Forced Recycling

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by TSGB, Dec 11, 2005.

1. TSGB

TSGB 1 ton status

Not sure if it's just in Seattle, or the whole state, but it sounds like a forced recycling plan is going into effect next month. Heard on the radio that apartments, businesses and the such can be fined for not recycling, and home garbage pick up can be suspended for a week if a large number of recyclable materials are being thrown away.

How do you judge that? The garbage trucks around here have arms that are operated by the driver. Does he have to get out, poke around in your can, decide if he wants to throw it away or not? :dunno:

I can see how this is a necessary evil though. We only have so much steel, aluminum, etc. to work with.

2. B_to_C

B_to_C 1/2 ton status Author

My home town did this several years back...

You had to pay for EACH bag of trash you threw out, I think it was $3 per bag. And if they found recyclables in your trash can they could refuse to take it. Needless to say recyling SKYROCKETED. The town was going to have a nice budget surplus because it could sell its unused trash permits to other towns. But someone took it to the state supreme court and got the town to go back to providing free trash and recycle pickup -per the towns constitution (or whatever that legal document is that states what the town is responsible for).

3. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

They are supposed to be enforcind that here. I don't think that the garbage guys care at all, but I,m sure that if you never have anythig in the recycle bin the recycle pickup guys would report you.

4. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

They make us pay extra to recycle here

5. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

Recycling is just a part of our curbside service now, no need for trash police yet. 2 bins. One main black bin for trash, a second bifurcated bin for paper on one side and metal - plastic on the other.

6. Roz

Roz 1/2 ton status

has been in spokane valley since 98' jerk offs:mad:

7. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

yeah, you have to pay extra here in Vancouver to get recycling picked up... so I don't do it. I have a bin i put plastic/metal stuff in... every once in a while I take it up to mom and dads house (quarter mile away) and dump it in their recycle bin for pick up. Works, and its cheap.

I only get my garbage picked up once a month (one can)... this saves me $ and time/effort to put the can out (driveway is a couple of hundred feet long, and gravel). I can do just one can/month because I have no kids... I burn everything flamable in my woodstove for heat... and I have a compost bin... and my dogs are good at cleaning my dinner plates. :grin: Its amazing how little garbage there is other than that stuff. 90% of the volume of household garbage tends to be packaging for food... which is generally plastic and paper. The former you can recycle, the later burn. Works for me and in total I spend $8 a month on garbage.

I think recycling is generally a good idea, there is value in the raw materials... might as well reuse them as much as possible. Of course some recycling is a little bit silly.... like recycling glass bottles. I can say with confidence that the Earth will never run out of silicon to make glass with... its pretty much the most abundant thing on the planet. Oh well, whatever makes the greenies happy and distracts them from trail closures I guess...

j

8. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

I burn it too...long rant about landfills and corruption..

I'm a fan of burning anything that has a BTU in it in my woodstoves too!..and your right,when I burn all the paper,foam,and plastic food packages and milk bottles,I not only get some free heat,but it saves me from paying a dollar per bag to toss them in the landfill..I only go to the dump every two weeks with the other stuff I cant burn..I'd have to go a lot more if I didn't burn..

Our town has a 50 dollar a year fee for a "dump sticker"(was 100 bucks for a few years,until residents revolted and started using private trash collection agencies,when they found it was cheaper--and the town realized it was losing money!)--we also have to buy "tags" at a dollar a pop for each bag tossed in the dumpster at the landfill..and you can't buy just one--a minimum of 5 is required!..

Its "optional" to re-cycle in my town,but many others all around us have "mandatory" recycling,and everything has to be separated and put in special bins...I hear its a real PITA,and a lot of people find stuff "refused" scattered all over the yard on trash day,after dogs go rooting thru the bags left behind by the rubbish men..most towns have special bags you must buy at certain locations you have to put the trash in,or they wont take it at all,period..

Our landfill has areas sectioned off for scrap metal,cardborad,newspapers,magazines,tires,TV's,A/C units..the newspaper and cardboard and other paper ,batteries,scrap metal,glass,and a few other things are "free" to dump there without a sticker or proof of residency.(since they make money cashing them in..I bring my scrap directly to the scrapyard and KEEP the cash..)

.but computer monitors,TV's and refridgerators,and other stuff has a 25 dollar disposal fee,and tires were 2-5 bucks each last time I asked,depending on size and whether a rim is still attached..

My latest argument with the landfill attendant (and there is ALWAYS an argument about what you can leave,where to leave it,etc..:mad: )..was the wood stove ashes with nails,srews,and staples mixed in from burning pallets--I've dumped them for 25 years in the "Hot Loads and Ashes" plie with NO complaints..

Now all of a sudden,its "forbidden" to have much steel in with the ashes!...WTF???--am I supposed to sift them before I bring them???--:mad: --now I have 3 barrels of them in my yard --I asked the guy at the scrap metal place,he reluctantly said I could bring them there,but wont pay me for them (not that I expected him too!)..but he's not thrilled about the ashes..he didn't understand what the beef was with nails,etc..he said its probably one of the LEAST toxic things they put in the landfill!!--

I agreed,but I think the town is worried more about them ending up in their bucket loaders tires,or other residents tires, that back up to the pile..more like the landfill workers might have to actually do something physical and WORK for once,instead of boss people around and whine about what they want to dump!..I call them the "landfill Gestapo's"..friggin power happy nazi's..:rolleyes:

Its a joke in the long run..rubbish collection is big bussiness here,and I've heard its mafia owned and controlled..people don't want to pay all theese fees,fines,and follow stupid rules..many just find a deserted road in a secluded area and toss everything there instead,and then the town has to send DPW workers to clean up the mess,and put in in the landfill--for FREE!..now THAT makes sense,doesn't it?..:rolleyes:

They should build more incinerators around here..there are 2 large ones in towns 15 miles away...our dumps have gone from level ground,to a mountain that could double as a ski area in the past 10 years..we have a huge metal building trucks back into and dump stuff in,where its sorted and re-sold,at a profit..now nearby residents have 150 trucks a day roaring by their homes,and the smell is nauseating..I don't see how guys can stand being in that building..

--I think it was stupid for the towns to stop burning at the local dumps..it increased the amount of land used and trash buried 20 fold..they should have built incinerators with smokestack "scrubbers",and used them to produce energy for other uses..no,wait.that might make sense!--just like renting the "capped" closed landfill area,the highest and most windy spot in town for a windmill for producing power,or a cell phone microwave antenna tower--nope,that would be sensible too..

Now another large moneybags rich local land owner operation,who also owns the local Dog Racing track, is demanding to start a similar operation for building materials here--200 more truck trips a day--on a road that Wal-Mart plans building another "Super" Wal-Mart!--:screwy:
    ..the Taunton(right next to Raynham's) landfill stinks to high heaven,despite having several Catapiller diesels running off the methane gas to produce electricity,and several "flares" constantly burning..its reduced property values to squat within a mile or two..

This whole area is going to be a landfill/recycling center for the rest of the state here,the way its going..the rubbish companies are so rich,they can pretty much buy off the town officials,or take the town to court and get any objections overuled..Its a corrupt organization,thats a monopoly worse than the cable TV companies,if you ask me..

I liked the good old days when rural people could have an incinerator of their own in the backyard..we always had a 55 gallon drum in our backyard when I was a kid..so did everyone else..I remember when just paying your property taxes (over 3 grand a year here!)--INCLUDED rubbish collection and disposal,and all you had to do was drag it to the curb on the correct day of the week..and NOTHING was left behind!..:screwy: ..now you have to pay nearly as much as the food you buy,to dispose of its wrapper..:mad:

9. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

recycling is part of curbside back home. We don't recycle any more(always have) just saves us a trip to the recycling center. In town(we don't live IN town), they are required to buy town trash bags for their trash.