Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

forced to sell the blazer...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by silver, Nov 28, 2002.

1. silver

silver Registered Member

unfortunatly... my mom is forcing me to sell my 1970 blazer because we are just having too many problems with it and it is my daily driver. it is my first car and believe me, i'm pissed because i love it. but i need to know how much i should sell it for because going from this car to another car is going to be hard... it's gunna need to be a cool one.
    Some pictures can be seen here: http://community.webshots.com/user/silverk5

it has a 454 big block, 4-speed with a granny gear, a dana 60 in the front, a 14 bolt in the rear. it has a 4 inch lift with add a leaf in the back i believe. if you guys could help me with about how much you guys think i could get for it that would be awsome.

Grant

2. milspecjimmy

milspecjimmy 1/2 ton status

what are you having for problems?
    why not just fix it, its a really nice looking truck and sounds like its all set up
    /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

3. silver

silver Registered Member

the clutch is a bitch... i'm always fixing it and there is always work needing to be done to it like in the past month i've dropped like 1,200 bucks on it... new driveshaft, oil change, tune up, carb tuning, new spark plugs, and a ton of other stuff.

4. 87sm465np208

87sm465np208 1/2 ton status

why did you buy a gm blazer? did you not expect to put money into somthing like that, and work on it often, are you sure your not rideing the clutch in la traffic? personally if thats your attitude, you should of bought a yota, blazers are for real men anyway /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif.

/forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

5. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> Sell it to a freind for cheap with the understanding that you can buy it back later on. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif </font color>

6. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

I think you will get $100 for it...I WILL TAKE IT...I can even come and take it off your hands next week...No it is a sweet rig...How many miles? any rust? I think if it is in decent shape it could fetch like $5000 or so...

Chris

7. silver

silver Registered Member

is your blazer a daily driver? because i don't mind working on it at all, i actually enjoy it on our 55' caddy because we can take our time and it's not a rush to get it finished just so i can drive to school. and money is a factor because i don't get oodles of money from mom and my job doesn't bring in enough money to take care of it by itself.

8. silver

silver Registered Member

it's alot nicer than 5,000 bud. no rust whatso ever. About 25,000 on the engine, and 53,000 on the body. i bought it for like 10,000 but i put alot into it... rci racing harnesses, full stereo system (750$) i took a back seat out of a 70' burban and reoplustered it and put headrests in, replaced all u-joints, the clutch, driveshaft, and a ton of other stuff.

9. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Looks like a shady way to get around paying $25 for a membership so you can sell something here. I think you know exactly what you want for the truck...asking our opinion just gets the post looked at.

Frankly I don't buy your reason for selling either...

Rene

10. silver

silver Registered Member

i'm not selling it right now anyways... i'm gunna sell it to someone here too... i just wanted a more knowledgable person than me to price it for me cuz i can't exactly look it up in the bluebook. but whatever, assume what you want but all i asked was how much i could get for it dude. i don't know why you don't believe why i'm selling it and i honestly don't see any reason for you to be such an ass about it when all i am looking for is some other people's opinions besdies mine

11. tRustyK5

Just my gut reaction...

Rene

12. silver

silver Registered Member

that's cool... i just don't want people thinking i'm trying to cheat coloradok5 or anything... haha. how much do YOU think i could get for it? i was gunna try to get 15-17.5, do you think that's attainable?

13. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

I would say $5-6000 tops. $6500 with a nice looking set of tires and rims.

14. tRustyK5

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    i was gunna try to get 15-17.5

[/ QUOTE ]

Not to be more of an ass...but I doubt it. Generally the dollar amount you put into a vehicle has almost no bearing on the market value. For mid teens people are going to expect a truck that is flawless in every sense of the word. Your truck is nice and it has the right parts but your reason for selling tells me it isn't perfect.

Spend a day cleaning up the details and take some great detail shots and try it out on Ebay with a reserve you can live with.

You never know, someone may have a real hard on for your truck and the bidding could go higher than most would expect.

Rene

15. Bullet

Bullet 1/2 ton status

Great looking Blazer, but you gotta realize that you never gonna get back what you put in, unless you find a sucker with a large wallet /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif So 15-17.5 seems a little too steep, maybe somewhere around 10K

16. jeffro

jeffro 1/2 ton status

This is confusing to me. You want to sell a truck because it's not reliable, then you spout off about all this crap you've done to it like it's the greatest truck there is. Just fix it and maybe your Mom will let you keep it. Talk your Mom into hiring a decent mechanic to work on it. She might even find you a new Dad and you'll have someone to hang with.

17. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Well this is getting close to a forsale add. Watch it on that end.
    So your mom is going to bank roll a car or what?
    $10k sounds reasonable for a non stock K5. You would have better luck getting more if it was all original bone stock numbers matching. First Gens that are unmolested and rust free are rare and they are starting to fetch big bucks. Modifide First gens tend to bring less no matter what parts are under it unless it's a show peice and the right buyer see's it.
    Fact of the matter is I would refuse to sell it. It sounds like an awsome truck that is only going to be worth more as time goes on. Go buy a $1500 toyota Corolla as a DD and park the K5 durring the week. You will only hate yourself for selling it and be bitter with your mom for asking you too.

18. Storm Trooper

Storm Trooper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Dillon Colorado, Hang'in in the mountains. Renting
    OK, here is my $.02, for what it's worth.
    1st, I think you have a really nice truck there but if you paid close to 10K for it, I would say you paid too much.
    It's hard to spend all the time and money on a truck and not get your money back out, but that's life.
    You will find that most of us here love our trucks and know we will never get out what we put in. That is why most of us will <font color="blue">never </font color> sell our trucks.
    To me, it sounds like you have just about got everything done to it to make it reliable. Your mom should understand how much work you have put into it and how you love it.
    I think you might get 10K-12K out but it will be hard. You can always try for more but most of the guys here would rather build it than buy it......hummm sound familiar?
    Now my question, if you put all that work into it, how could you sell it if you REALLY love it?
    I think you either just want a car, not a truck (too bad) /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif
    or you are just trying to make a buck (can't blame you) or both.
    My guess would be, .... good luck with the Honda street racer /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif
    Sorry but not many of us would part with that truck, we'd sell the stereo 1st. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

19. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

Im not gonna throw judgement around but if you REALLY want to keep it, put it up for sale for some INSANE price. Moms happy cuz your trying to honor her wishes. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif If some fool walks up w/ what you have it listed for hand over the title and smile all the way to the bank. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

20. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

Last year, I was VERY close to buying a 1971. It was perfect...It had a FI 454, a D60/ 14 bolt, both locked with 4.56 gears, 38's, full-cage...the guy had invested over $30,000 (I even added up all the receipts!) It ended up selling for only $6500...the guy that had first dibs on it barely came up with the money...if he didin't get the funds together, it was mine...goes to show the price on parts and labor (even if you think your time is worth the going rate of labor) mean nothing when it comes time to calculate the fair market value of your rig...

Chris