Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

ford 10.25 f/f

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by uberbeans, Nov 25, 2006.

1. uberbeans

uberbeans 1/2 ton status

I may have an opportunity to get a ford 10.25 ff out of a F-250HD (for free). Is this worthwhile? Is the width wrong, anyone done it? Be brutally honest and try to look past the "F" word.

2. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

its not a Ford axle, its a Sterling. so like a HP 44 or HP 60, its technically not a Ford piece.

3. atho

atho 1/2 ton status

check pirate, i know those axles have a few weird quirks and year splits with their run. but they are just as strong as a d70 or 14 bolt.

4. MattK

MattK 1/2 ton status

yeah pretty sure that is a sterling axle. good axle, just be sure you are getting the one with the right bolt pattern. in the last few years ford switched to a funky metric bolt pattern.

5. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

If it has discs, the bolt pattern is metric. Drum versions are 8-on-6.5".

The pinion problem affects the earlier version. I think the split is around '90 or so. Even so, a different gearset & yoke are all it takes to fix.

6. mr.smartass

mr.smartass 1 ton status Premium Member

I had one, junked it, needed rebuliding, and i decided it wasn't worth the time, A little more expensive then a 14 bolt for parts, I would just wait for a 14 bolt.

7. uberbeans

uberbeans 1/2 ton status

So a problem I may have is having two different wheel bolt patterns? The only reason I am considering it is because it is cheap. But it may not turn out to be so if I have do alot to make it work. What do you guys think, is it worth it?

8. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

What year is this F250HD? Metric pattern (& discs) is a Superduty thing. The previous ones are drum and a normal 8x6.5" pattern.

9. uberbeans

uberbeans 1/2 ton status

I don't know what year. It is pre-superduty years, though. Probably around a '90. I was at my mother in laws for thanksgiving and saw it in her barn. It's her ex-husbands and she doesn't care about it (and obviously neither does he). It has been sitting for about 3.5 years. It has drum brakes. Worth a shot? I didn't measure the width.

10. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

How about driving the Ford instead? :haha:

You'd have to move the perches to swap it into a Chevy. Make sure it has a ratio you can use - 3.55 is very common, but doesn't match anything GM. 3.73 (2wd) and 4.10 also came. The posi is decent - not a gov-bomb. The Ford hubs stick out more and are a little fatter (stock Chevy wheels won't fit).

It is a beefy diff, 35-spline, and may have a D70 beat on tooth contact area. :eek1: Drums are 12x2.5" - not quite as big as the 14bFF ones.

HTH

11. atho

atho 1/2 ton status

iirc the metric pattern only came on the 10.5" version, which is the newer one. i think you should be ok.