Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

FORD 44 knuckles?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by MTPockets, Oct 28, 2000.

1. MTPockets

MTPockets 1/2 ton status

a friend of mine has a dana 44 out of a ford in his back yard. he said i could take the knuckles off to use for my crossover steering conversion.

will they work?

thanx,
    MTPockets.

2. stephan van leir

stephan van leir 1/2 ton status

Simply put yes and no. The knuckle will fit, but if you try to use the spindle you will need to run the hub, spindle, and brakes. Since they are 5 lug you won`t want to do that. Now if they are 3/4 ton i`d say snag them because Ford used a duel piston caliper that has more brake swept area than GM`s single piston. Of course they are 8 lug too.

3. Jeff427

Jeff427 1/2 ton status

Fo*d's dual piston calipers suck! They wear out the insides of the rotors bad (a friend of mine went through several sets of rotors because of uneven wear), because of their poor design (they don't float like GM calipers). If you have to use Ford brakes, I would find a different way to do the crossover steering. I know people that have tossed out the brakes on their Fo*ds and Do*g*s, and changed them over to Chevy brakes because they are so much better, and less expensive.

Jeff427
    <font color=red>Mud Dog Off Road Club</font color=red>
    http://muddogoffroad.coloradok5.com