Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Ford 5-bold Expecition Bolt Circle Diameter???

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 350350, Oct 2, 2003.

1. 350350

350350 1/2 ton status

I have a '92 Chevy Van that needs tires. It has the old '5on5' wheel bolt pattern, 5 bolts on a 5" bolt circle.

I know that for many years Ford and Chevy both used this bolt pattern, and the wheels were interchangeable. I don't know when that ended, if it did at all. (Not had any Furds for a long long time...)

I have an opportunity to buy a full set of '97 Ford Expedition 17x7.5" wheels with 265/75-17" Goodyear Wranglers on them for $100-$150. (Guy has had them forever and wants them off the lawn...) Tires are about 1/2 tread.

But I'm not sure the bolt circle is the same. It seems like I remember there being a 5.5" bolt circle too.

I may just go out there and see if he'll let me try them on just to be sure. I'm a little worried about the tire height. I have 235/75-15's on the Van now, and they have plenty of room. I've had 30" muds on it too (who hasn't put Mud Tires on the family truckster???) and they were OK but pushing the limits of size. These Expedition tires calculate out to about 32" tall, but are a bit narrow. I'm not sure they'll fit without rubbing, and my High-Top van doesn't really need any more height.

Thoughts? /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

Paul /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

2. FRIZZLEFRY

FRIZZLEFRY 1/2 ton status

The Expedition wheels wont work.The wheels use the center of the hub to center the wheel instead of tapered lug nuts.So the lug nut surface on the Ford wheel is flat with no taper on the mounting holes. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

3. 350350

350350 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    The Expedition wheels wont work.The wheels use the center of the hub to center the wheel instead of tapered lug nuts.So the lug nut surface on the Ford wheel is flat with no taper on the mounting holes. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

What if, say I was a Redneck, and was willing to taper the existing holes to make them work? /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

I can buy this whole set of wheels and tires cheaper than I can get a decent set of used tires. Plus I won't have to pay to have them mounted!

(I'm a cheap Busturd.)

Paul

4. btolenti

btolenti 1/2 ton status

expedition is a 5x135 bolt pattern not 5x5.5,
    and 350350 is right, the expedition uses hubcentric rims, not lug centered...although you can use acorn lugs...

5. 350350

350350 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    expedition is a 5x135 bolt pattern not 5x5.5,
    and 350350 is right, the expedition uses hubcentric rims, not lug centered...although you can use acorn lugs...

[/ QUOTE ]

So that's something like a 5.3" bolt circle??? What the? The Metric System is the Devil's Work!!!

But seriously, in my Redneck Days, I would have just found a drillbit of approximate size and made the holes oblong to fit. Now that my Kids ride around in my junk, I'm not nearly as quick to half-ass stuff.

It used to be a joke to 'Jimmy-Rig' stuff, and whenever a buddy would see something of questionable engineering quality, we would say, "Yeah, Jimmy came by and Rigged that up for me..."

But now I'm babbling again.

Anybody want to buy a set of Expedition wheels?

Paul

6. btolenti

btolenti 1/2 ton status

Metric system is simpler since it's broken down in steps of 10, but I am still partial to standard sizes....

7. 350350

350350 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Metric system is simpler since it's broken down in steps of 10, but I am still partial to standard sizes....

[/ QUOTE ]

I have to agree that after working with the metric system for years I've become partial to it. I'm still scarred for life though from working on cars that have a combination of SAE and Metric bolts. Pick a side!!!

The best 'Metric System' story I have was when I worked for IDOT. They refused to use the metric system, yet changed to a system that used tenths of feet. Can you believe it??? They went to the expense and trouble to change all their equipment to divide 12 inches into 10 equal parts, yet would not use the metric system. That was probably 10 years ago so hopefully they've switched by now, but I wouldn't count on it. /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

8. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

Read below /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif