Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Ford 57 inch spring questions

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Judd, Oct 3, 2002.

1. Judd

Judd 1/2 ton status

I've been reading about the Ford spring conversion and it says the spring bolt is something like 25 inches from the front of the spring eye. Stock, it's something like 26. They say to redrill the spring pack to fix. Could you just flip the spring around backwards? I would like to relocate the axle rearward a few inches to get a better departure angle and to get a better driveshaft angle anyway{gonna sawzall the rear of the fenderwells}. Anyone know the distance from the rear spring eye to the spring pack bolt? Any ideas on this, especially as far as spring wrap goes?

2. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

57 - 25 =

3. Judd

Judd 1/2 ton status

So the spring bolt is in the middle? Wait, if were in the middle and the the distance to front spring eye is 25 inches then the spring would be 50 inches over-all-25 inches to the front and 25 inches to the rear.
    Am I missing something? Were did the other 7 inches of spring go? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

4. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

yup that 7" is on the back side
    so running the backward without drilling would move the axle 6"
    could be off but that makes sense to me

5. Swanson52

Swanson52 1/2 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    yup that 7" is on the back side

[/ QUOTE ]

I have a set in my garage, so I went out and checked them out and sure enough, mj is right on the money. 32" from the center pin to the spring eye on the back.

6. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

I'm running my 57s backwards for exactly that reason. However, you have to watch things like geometry changes as the spring flexes when you do that. Specifically pinion angle can be a problem due to the axle being mounted on the back of that arch.

7. Judd

Judd 1/2 ton status

Thank for the feedback. How bout the axle wrap issues, did you experience any?

8. TONYP

TONYP 1/2 ton status

<font color="blue"> Ford Super duty F250 99-02 4x4 factory leaf springs, stock height only 1000 miles of use front and rear avail
    </font color> Will these work? I'mm looking for leafs and came across these, i have the info on the 86-96 leafs and still am looking for them... /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

9. BadDog

Oh yeah, I got plenty of axle wrap, working on getting a anti-wrap bar in there now. Those springs don't control the wrap at all turned backwards. The band is on the wrong side and the leafs are too staggered on the back (now the front) to provide the resistance to wrap...

10. BadDog

Nope, those are too heavy, they would only be good (potentially) as donors to play with swapping leafs in and out. You definitely want the 4 leaf (plus overload is 5) F150 springs.

11. TONYP

TONYP 1/2 ton status

Just checked on line and can get a set from JC wipeme for $87.00 each.....can you find them cheaper... /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

12. BadDog

I get mine at a local yard for $60 a pair. Some people claim to get them cheaper but that seems to be as cheap as it gets around here. Most are quoted at $100 a pair. I would be a bit suspect of the quality of J.C. springs, I would much rather get a set of Ford's. Just make sure they come from a truck that does not look totally beaten on...

13. marv_springer

marv_springer 1/2 ton status

You're doing good at that price Russ /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif.... My best has been about $90 a pair, 'cept for 1 "u-pull-it" lot that I visited once.

Marv

14. Swanson52

Swanson52 1/2 ton status

The junk (and I do mean JUNK) yard where I got mine sells em for $60 a pair, they pull em, and they have 20+ pairs there. The spring swap is still a secret in Nebraska! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Wait...maybe it's because we don't have any rocks! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

15. beater74

beater74 1/2 ton status

i just got back from the local pull-a-part and i gotta pair and the were $19.45 each /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif and i picked up a spare york for $18.95. man i love going the the junk yard

16. MNorby

MNorby 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

The salvage yard here is selling me some for $50 a pair. I haven't looked for them yet but theyre are so many ford there shouldn't be too hard to find a good pair. I'm gonna see if he will trade me for my chevy stockers too

17. Swanson52

Swanson52 1/2 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    man i love going the the junk yard

[/ QUOTE ]

Ditto. What's cooler than poking around the junk yard for cool sh!t? /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

18. tomseviltwin

tomseviltwin 1/2 ton status

New ? same topic:

Aren't the ford springs wider than the Chevy? Were you able to use unmodified Chev springhangers? /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

19. Swanson52

Swanson52 1/2 ton status

If you get the 2wd version, they are 2.5 inches wide....juuuusst riiiiight. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif