Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

ford 57'' rears

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by muddyblzr, Nov 28, 2005.

1. muddyblzr

muddyblzr 1/2 ton status

im thinking about running these for my rear springs. i can get a set dirt cheap from a friend. what does everyone think of them? what did you need to mount them? pics would help a ton

2. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

I like em so much I put em up front too. I used an ord flip in the rear and thats all. turn them around and throw in a longer shackle.

3. muddyblzr

muddyblzr 1/2 ton status

did you have to modify your spring hangar in the rear? i heard there wider than chevy springs. i got the sky flip and the shackles i have might work there long. im going to turn them backwards after i do the doubler and driveshafts

4. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

the 4x4 fords used the 3" you need a set off of a 2wd ford they are the same 2.5" width

5. muddyblzr

muddyblzr 1/2 ton status

hmmmm crap. maybe ill snag the hangars when i get the springs from my friend.
    thanks for the info. anyone got any pics of the hangars and mounts. flex pics anything?

p.s. does the ford hangar stick out any farther?

6. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

just mod the mounts, i think the 3"s are more stable

7. muddyblzr

muddyblzr 1/2 ton status

thats what i was planning on doing. cutting them up and making them the same as the chevy mounts so i dont have to move around my perches or anything else.

8. Poohbair

Poohbair 1/2 ton status

Mine were mounted on an Echobit shackle flip, and in there backwards for the extra wheelbase. I loved them. I am going to put them in my 4runner and see if they work as well as they did in my K5.

9. muddyblzr

muddyblzr 1/2 ton status

did you use a ford spring hangar for the front? how did you get them to fit in the echobit flip? arent they wider? if u got any close up pics id appreciate it. poohbair did you run a traction bar?

10. Poohbair

Poohbair 1/2 ton status

They are the same width as a Chevy spring... no need to change the front hanger. Just bolted in the Echobit flip and ran a longer shackle.

This is the only OLD picture that I have of the suspension... back when the ol' girl was black, and still a 3/4 ton...

[​IMG]

11. muddyblzr

muddyblzr 1/2 ton status

oops i was reading through some threads and someone said they were wider than chevy rears and had to use ford spring hangars. when you flipped them how much wheelbase did you gain? mine will be flipped when i do driveshafts. do you run a traction bar of any kind?
    thanks for the pics and info :bow:

12. Poohbair

Poohbair 1/2 ton status

gained around 6-7" of wheelbase. Never ran a traction bar... didn't really ever need one...
    Here are a few different pics w/ the rearend moved back...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is what it ended up looking like w/ the rearend moved back, and the front forward about 3.5"...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here is with the rearend moved WAYYYYY back...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

so basically that is what you have to look forward to with putting the 57's in the rear!!! :D :D :D

13. muddyblzr

muddyblzr 1/2 ton status

cool i always liked how ur rig sat. mine will be about the same in wheelbase just a little bit bigger tire.
    thanks for the pics. it helps to be able to see what it might end up kinda like

14. mofugly13

mofugly13 1 ton bucket of rust Premium Member

The ford 57"ers come in 2 1/2" wide in the 2wd and 3" in the 4wd, and some f350's. I used the 3" wide ones with a ford front hangar, which I had to weld on, and a custom offset shackle b/c the front ford hangar puts the spring closer to the frame than the chevy hangars. I made a lot of posts asking questions, seach for "offset shackle" and "homemeade shackle". heres a pic of my offset shackle I fabbed:

[​IMG]

Also, I think that most who have done this have re-drilled the spring pack to move the center pin back about 1.5". I was going 1-ton at the same time I did the spring swap, so I drilled a new hole for the center pin in the spring perches I fabbed. The new hole was 1.5" forward of center, which moved the axle 1.5" to the rear. The chit looks good.

Heres the ford front hangar, I bolted it up to the frame using one of the existing holes, then I tack welded it on, drilled the rest of the holes out in the frame, bolted it up, and welded it the rest of the way.

[​IMG]

15. muddyblzr

muddyblzr 1/2 ton status

i think the truck im gettin them from is a 2wd i dont remember. for 10$ ill make them fit. i remember seeing your post along time ago. i like how you make those shackles. i have some really long lowering shackles i plated up and beefed to work. my fords will be like poohbairs, flipped backwards for the extra wheelbase. if i have to use a ford front hangar ill try to splice it to fit how the chevy did so i wont have to mess with my perches or make offset shackles. i wana keep my springs as far in as possible. what i would really like to do is inboard them. but i dont have the money or time right now to box the frame