Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Ford 57" springs

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by sled_dog, Feb 8, 2003.

1. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Ford 57\" springs

If I put the 57" springs out back with the Echobit kit I know they say you get like 5 3/4" of lift out of it, my question is if I remove the overload would this lower the amount of lift a little and maybe soften up the ride? If not then maybe removing one of the other 4 leaves? Looking for some capable flex, soft ride, and about 4" of lift. I know losing the overload would lose a lot of load handling but I have only trailered something really heavy once and if I really need to my dad has a 2002 Ford F250 just waiting to go.

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Re: Ford 57\" springs

If they were any softer they wouldn't hold the back of the truck up. I got 57's and they're stupid soft...in a good way. If you only want 4" of lift use the ORD shackle flip or the homebrew flip with a slightly longer shackle.

I flipped my overload upside down...not sure if that was a mistake yet, the jury is still out. So far it works very well. To be honest i haven't been able to utilize the 57's full potential yet. I need to tub the rear and run longer shocks. As it is now the tire rubs the inside of the fenderwell real hard just before I run out of shock.

With stiff Rancho fronts my truck ramps 1120 on a 20 degree ramp...and the rear rides like a pre-runner.

Rene

3. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Oh Rene, I hope ya can answer this question for me.

I'm getting some 4" for the front. I'm keeping the shackle in the back stock configuration.

I would love to try out a set of Ford 57" in the rear as a cheap setup. What size lift spring should I be looking at to complement the front?

4. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    I got 57's and they're stupid soft

[/ QUOTE ]

Someone's been hanging out with Muddysub... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

5. tRustyK5

The loaded arch of the F-150 springs is within 1/2" of the 52" Chev springs. So you could use some 4" lift springs for a F-150 I guess. You'll still have to move the rear hanger back a ways and prolly fine tune the ride height with an offset block from A-tron. This will get the truck level and locate the axle in the center of the wheelwell.

Retaining the stock rear shackle configuration you'll need to move the diff back 1" from the center pin on the 57's. The center pin on the 57's is 25" from the front eye...compared to 26" from the front eye on the Chev springs.

Any reason you don't want to do a shackle flip? Is a shackle flip a bad thing on a pre runner type truck? I'm not sure how soft the aftermarket lift springs are for the F-150's...but the stock 57's are really soft.

Rene

6. LKJR

LKJR 1/2 ton status

how do you identify the ford 57's are you just measureing if so when loaded or unloaded, and what years? any issues running on a first gen? mods to run with a shakle flip?

7. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I was afraid removing leaves would do that, do you think ORD would make up a longer shackle to give me 4" of lift and 57s? I guess I cold deal with 5" of lift and just throw a zero rate under the front but I would prefer not to.

8. Poohbair

Poohbair 1/2 ton status

I am running the 57's w/ the Echobit kit on the rear and 4" springs on the front and mine sits just a touch high on the rear, and I am running w/ no top, no tailgate, and no interior basically. I bet w/ a top and a complete tailgate my truck would sit level.

9. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Any reason you don't want to do a shackle flip? Is a shackle flip a bad thing on a pre runner type truck? I'm not sure how soft the aftermarket lift springs are for the F-150's...but the stock 57's are really soft.

[/ QUOTE ]
    $$$$$$ for the most part. Another reason is that I'm going with a drop shackle in the rear, so I can accomadate a larger arched spring to test a theory that was discussed on here about a year ago.

As for running the shackle flipped, that's an interesting question because that's the way Rangers and Toyotas run their shackles.

10. tRustyK5

I think if you got 5" of lift in the rear plus new 4" fronts the truck would sit near level with the hard top on. With my hardtop on my truck sits about 1/2" low in the rear. I might fine tune that with a zero rate but I'm going to swap front springs first and see where I'm at.

With my hardtop removed the truck sits level...with the overload right side up it may sit level with the hard top on. It's all trial and error and each truck will be a little different.

rene

11. tRustyK5

ID'ing the springs is pretty basic. The leafs are 2.5" wide, there should be 4 leafs plus an overload spring. The length of the spring is measured from the front spring eye along the springs arch to the rear spring eye. The center bolt is 25" from the front eye and 32" from the rear eye.

I believe the years to look for are 86-96 F-150's, mine were from a 90 F-150.

rene

12. tRustyK5

I'd think a flatter spring would do better, but I don't know jack about leaf sprung pre-runners (or any type of pre-runners for that matter) Maybe the Toy's and Rangers run the shackle that way because they are spring under?

With lots of spring arch you will need a longer shackle to accomodate the bigger changes in effective spring length...which was the same reason I extended my shackle.

Rene

13. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I am used to my truck sitting higher in the back. Right now it sits about 1 1/2 to maybe 2" higher out back. With the cap on. When I remove the engine the front levels out with the back. It sounds like I will be going with a 57" ford rear spring setup and I think some Superlift 4" Superrides. I'm liking the sound of the ride on the 57s. Only thing nice about my springs I have now is that they are better load handlers than my dad's stock 2002 F250 with factory overload springs. Hooked the same trailor with old 70s oldsmobile boat car(huge steel weight with armor plating for demolition derby) and his truck sinks like 2-3" making it squat out back. My K5 with the same thing and junk from in the garage going to the junkyard only sinks like 1". Almost levels it out in the back.

14. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

I'd think a flatter spring would do better, but I don't know jack about leaf sprung pre-runners (or any type of pre-runners for that matter) Maybe the Toy's and Rangers run the shackle that way because they are spring under?

[/ QUOTE ]

The more arch, the more travel. A flat spring doesn't do good. If I could spring under the front end easily, I would do that for a longer, more arched spring. A lot of Toys have gone spring under in the rear so they can get the longer springs.

With lots of spring arch you will need a longer shackle to accomodate the bigger changes in effective spring length...which was the same reason I extended my shackle.

[/ QUOTE ]
    That's what my plan is. I'll go with say a 2" drop shackle in the rear so I can get a more arched spring. I still have to do a price check on springs, then I think the most problem I will have is getting shock setup right if I'm dealing with a low spring rate. Should be fun and exciting. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

15. tRustyK5

57's will likely make your truck useless for towing or carrying a load...just so you know. Ask Thumper what my truck looked like with a SM465/205 combo loaded in the back of my truck/forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

Rene

16. tRustyK5

Just an interesting FYI on the stock 57's. Free arch is about 8-9" more than loaded arch. The free arch on stock 52" springs is more like 4"...If you were catching some air and had the right shocks to dampen the landing I think thay'd work well. I have a pic of the 57's free arch and the stock 52" free arch in the 57" Ford spring write up. The link is in the bloody knuckle forum.

When I was swapping them in my wife took one look at them and thought I was doing a 12" lift... /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

Rene

17. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

No load carrying worries, I am puting some brand new carpet in the back of the K5 so no engines or anything are gonna be sitting in there. Might as well remove and sell my Class 3 then. Oh well she made a damn good tow vehicle with those back springs, SM465, and the class III. I shoudl try and sell the springs and Class III together.

18. LKJR

LKJR 1/2 ton status

57's will likely make your truck useless for towing or carrying a load

[/ QUOTE ]

is that only if you flip the overload or overall? if it's overall why is that if they are stock springs on a half ton truck? Body weight?

and if I did do this and not change the overload would it be worth the swap, if I wanted to maintain the option of pulling a trailer?

19. tRustyK5

I talked to the owner of a local spring shop here and he does a fairly brisk business selling and installing a stiff add-a-leaf for owners of F-150's that want to tow or carry a camper...

Having a flexy rig and a good tow rig is a great thing...as long as you don't want them to be the same truck.

Rene

20. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Anyone know where to get cheap new 57" ford springs? prefer to get a new OEM set rather than get an old used set from a junkyard. Well if I can find new ones say under $85