Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Ford 6.0 vs. 7.3

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by freeflow, Jul 23, 2006.

1. freeflow

freeflow 1/2 ton status

Im looking at f250 super duty crew cabs and im not finding many 7.3 diesels, seems like the majority are 6.0 diesels.

Any comments, good/bad things about either of the motoris???

brad

2. neverendingproject

neverendingproject 1/2 ton status

If your doing any kind of hauling, get the 7.3. if its just street, then the 6.0 is lots of fun.

3. Jimbo*

Jimbo* 1/2 ton status

Try here: thedieselstop.com
    Jimbo

4. oatsk5

oatsk5 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

7.3 is the way to go and the 7.3 is no longer production

5. neverendingproject

neverendingproject 1/2 ton status

I cant wait for a 6.4 twin turbo

6. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

6.0s are junk, junk, junk, and more junk.

if you are using it for a tow rig, and really using it, I say get a 7.3L. The 6.0s have TONS of problems. We ALWAYS have at least one 6.0L sitting around waiting for something in our shop(Ford Dealer). 7.3Ls come in for oil changes...

6.0Ls can be tuned up pretty hot, but as soon as you start tweaking, EXPECT problems. I have a buddy who has had 2. An 03 and an 06, both have lifted the heads. We were riding beside him down the highway a few weeks ago, he jumped on it, BAM coolant all over the side of the truck we were in(sidepipes on his truck). Fuel system can't keep up with the power hes making either. Upgraded with a FASS fuel pump and ARP Head studs but fuel still isn't keeping up.

My vote is 7.3L until the 6.4L comes out, then I'll have to wait and see what they start doing. Of course, anything more under the hood of a Super Duty, expect to pull the cab off the frame to do any work.

7. yellowK20

yellowK20 Well Lubricated Premium Member GMOTM Winner

the big things on 7.3's are Cam sensors , Crank sensors, Glow plugs,waterpumps, starters, and vacum Pumps. 6.0 is JUNK all the away around even in stock form. Good performance though

8. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Injectors too.

None of these problems as severe as the 6.0s

9. yellowK20

Yeah but they are prevelent in 7.3's also the Brakes SUCK on super dutys very easy to warp the rotors ,

10. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

the 6.4's look like they are going to have as many problems as the 6.0... with the 6.0 the vvt has problems with the vains rusting, the egr has problems. Fords solution has been to eliminate some systems, often without telling customers. my unlce brought his truck in (04' f250 quad cab, short bed) cause it didnt feel right, the motor just wasnt pulling. The dealer said they needed to keep it over the weekend. WIthout even telling him they put in a new turbo and did a bunch of other work... The 6.0s have TONS of potential but are plagued with reliabilty/ quality issue that made people loose alot of faith in the new ford diesels...

11. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

the new turbo he got is a mildly updated one. its warranty work. his truck would have likely be destroyed in short order if he didn't.

I fear for people topping 100k on their 6.0Ls(warranty ending)...

12. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

he put 30-35k miles on his and he couldnt take it anymore. it was just too much of a hassle. yeah hed get it fixed but its the down time (he does have 4 other vechicles but its annoying) One time it was the drive by wire system malfunction (i believe the 03's were greatly plagued) the throttle would stick open:eek1: That and he brought it in so many time there was a $100 deductible:rolleyes:

13. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

we had one come in, one of the complaints? "Boost gauge not functioning". It was functioning fine, as soon as the truck started, it pegged the gauge, haha. Thats the most common things I see(mind you I'm not a diesel tech just note what the guys are working on), turbos stuck either at max boost(more common way they stick), or no boost.

14. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

Yeah i believe his was no boost (or just about none)

One thing ive heard alot is to keep em running right you should drive em real hard, and drive em long so the heat up enough. Thats just stupid, its a new vechicle, you shouldnt have to drive it a certain way. you should be able to get in and go:rolleyes:

15. ABLAZN

ABLAZN Registered Member

Don't forget that the 7.3 having water leak through the cylinder walls if you did not keep the special cooling system additive up to date. Both the 7.3 and 6.0 have crap auto's behind them. so if the motor does not blow, the tranny will. I have been a die hard blue oval guy for over 20 years, and with all their recent offering, I don't see myself getting a new Ford soon. The whole Power Stroke line has more problems then the Cummins and DuraMax combined.

16. oneofthefewbmx

oneofthefewbmx 1/2 ton status

I am oneofthefewbmx's roomate and I have a late 99 powerstroke. 4x4 6 speed. It has been an awesome truck, has 250k miles and still pulling strong just getting broke in. The only problem I have had is 6 alternators in 2 weeks...but thats because they were all junk. Oh and the a/c is on its last leg but hey its got alot of miles so I am happy. It pulls good, shifts smooth, and has gobs of power and it is stock except for a straight pipe...more to come...( 8 inch lift, boggers, chip, intake...) but I love it. I have heard alot about the 6.0 powerjunk and they were not good things. ( I work at O'Reilly's.) Everything to leaking rear mains at 500 miles, melted turbos, head gaskets blowing, ****ty injection system. I wouldn't buy one. I also had a 90 F-350 single cab, single wheel, 5 speed, 2wd and that was probably the best truck I have ever owned. Had a Banks sidewinder kit, luk clutch, IP turned way up, downpipe , straight pipe, gauges...and it pulled almost as good as my powerstroke AND got 25 miles to the gallon. I like all diesels...the duramax is badass and the allison behind it is bad ass, but IFS sucks unless you want comfort. The cummins is badass but their trannys suck...be it automatic or manual. As for ford diesel's I wouldn't have one newer than an early 03 with the 7.3. As for the new 6.4 TT that looks like it will be plagued with problems as well. I heard a rumor though that the new dodges will have a CAT motor in them and not a cummins...that would be bad ass :). Anyways...my info was useless I like all diesels. :)

17. DEMON44

DEMON44 Low-Tech Redneck

That doesn't make any sense, pegging the boost on startup. A diesel turbo charger doesn't produce boost unless there is load on the engine. doesn't matter if its a variable vane, waste gated turbo with a blow off valve or just a plane jane hot houseing. The wastegate sticks open theres very little boost and you burn the turbo out.

Um no, its a diesel and should be treated as such.

18. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

its a diesel sold in a passanger vechicle, it shouldnt have to be driven 25 mile minimum at a time out of fear of the motor not properly heating up:rolleyes:

19. ramjet gmc

ramjet gmc CK5 Staff Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

2nd but the newer 2005 6.0 is a good moter i just do not like it in hevey hallers like dumptruck moterhome or longhaller but a worktruck or weekend toy haller more then enuff

20. yellowK20

New Dodge will be a 6.7 liter Cummins Straight six not a Caterpillar i agree on the Older Dodge auto's being junk But How can you say the manuals are??the NV4500 is rock solid (way better than fords ZF-5speed) granted they had a Few problems with the NV5600 ( which is why they switched to the 6-speed ZF which ford has been useing) the Biggest gripe I've heard with Dodge manuals is that the Stock Clutch will not grip hard enough and begin to slip under High load when you start Modding them. Oh and the 5th gear problem that Plauged some NV4500's