Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Ford 60 in a Chevy? WTF? VERY Long and Drunken. heheh

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by MaxCrack, May 20, 2003.

1. MaxCrack

MaxCrack 1/2 ton status

First of all any response is greatly appreciated as I usually get few responses and I get most of my info from searches and other sources and I just like the acknowlegment of my existstance as a member. Did I warn ya' I was drunk or what...anyway...

OK. That is the most popular question I get. Did I mention I was a little tipsy. Margaritas will do that when you are experimenting with 4 kinds of Tequila and 2 kinds of Orange Liquer. (That's 8 recipes if you hold steady on the lime/lemon juice.)

My main source of info on this topic (NOT THE MARGARITAS)was in a horrific accident. He is alive but is no longer the same person and can no longer help me with the info I need.

I have rebuilt and installed a '79 Ford Dana 60 front end into a Chevy K5 Blazer. (I have a lot of info on this as well as 35 spline outers in a Ford 60 if you need it. But that is another topic. For questions or pics PM me. Or if I get enough response I will post here later.)

<font color="blue">Why a Ford? Well, first, </font> the pinion is about 3.5" inches higher than Chevy or Dodge Dana 60, which makes lifting it that much easier considering pinion angle. <font color="blue">Second</font>, the gears are reverse cut** which makes them stronger (in the front only) unless your entire drive train, motor included, is spinning backwards, or your axle is upside down. <font color="blue">And Third</font>, when you are wheelin' without a spotter, front diff is right under your arse. If you do not want to drag your arse over that rock, you do not want to drag your diff' over it and can steer away from it.

The simple answer is...a custom doubler from Off Road Design (which I have yet to order due to financial reasons (I have been jobless since June 2002(CA computer jobs are hard to find))).

<font color="orange">My question arises when I try to include exhaust. I currently have the Thorley Tri-Y headers which are awesome, unless you are trying to do what I am trying to do, because the Thorley driver's side comes down a few inches directly behind the pinion of the Ford Dana 60. What I am looking for in a response is some different headers that will work, or some other clever work around , as I Have already considered original exhaust manifolds with some custom piping.</font>

Some more info so you do not have to look up my profile and all that crap ...It is a 75'. I have a '94 454 in the garage that needs an intake manifold and brackets to hold my Necessities. I have one more smog check in '04 for the original 350 which is bored over .040 and now has Vortec heads. (No dyno for me because I have an SM435 to a 203 and some full time hubs just incase.) The rear end is a Dana 70 DRW that works just fine with my rims and tires...37" TSL's on 16x10 RockCrawlers. Although, I am looking for a 14 bolt to replace the rear 70 so I can sell the front and rear 70's as a pair and go to a Detroit locker easily. I am also looking into a hydraulic clutch to help clear exhaust and other stuff.

As it is, I am planning to just wait until I pass my next test and then work it all out with the 454, SM435, 203 and Ford 205 to the Ford 60 front and 14 bolt rear...with all new exhaust. But I hate to wait another year (or more)before I go 4x4in' again!! Still, any suggestions are, as always, welcome. Because I hate looking like an awesome 4x4 when I am actually a crappy 4x2 with an open diff in the rear in disguise.

&lt;&lt;&lt;**YES, I said CUT. This is a topic that really bugs me for some reason. Reverse CUT verses Reverse Rotation . You do realize, in order to have reverse Rotation , your motor (engine) has to spin in the opposite direction of damn near every production motor in existance, unless you have a special order marine motor?!?!?!? And then your Transmission and Transfercase are the weak points in your drive line because they are cut for normal direction rotation. Or your axle assembly has been flipped over?!

OR your input pinion on your differantial must be on the opposite side ((left or right) which requires significant design engineering for your ring AND poinion) of a normal pinion in order to have every thing spinning in the right direction to propel you forward.&gt;&gt;&gt;

P.S. If you think this is well written for a drunk ass, imagine me sober. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

Keywords: Ford Dana 60 MaxCrack ORD Doubler Crazy Insane 435 203 205 Weirdo Dumb Drunk Ass heheh <font color="orange"> </font>

2. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

Well i got to the part about headers, and if tha problem you have is yuor headers clearing the pinion, (which is what i think yuo were trying to sya) Get some JBA shortys. i kinda got lost after that.... sorry if i cant be much help.

3. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

SOLUTION:

Eight individual exhaust pipes pointing straight up and exiting out the top of the hood!!!

/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif (That's straight Tequila talkin!) /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

4. FL84K5

FL84K5 1/2 ton status

Trogdor comes in the niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiighttttt!

5. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Look REAL close at this picture and no it's not flipped.
    [​IMG]
    Here is a close up.
    [​IMG]

6. MaxCrack

MaxCrack 1/2 ton status

Man, I gotta stay off the computer when I'm wasted. /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif heheh.

Yeah, the problem is with the headers I have. The drive shaft needs to go right through them. The shorties sound like a good idea.

I forgot Steve has a Ford 60. And I'll have to talk to him when I buy the doubler anyway.

Thanks guys.