Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

ford 9 inch question

Discussion in 'Other Rides' started by talldogg, Mar 15, 2001.

1. talldogg

talldogg 1/2 ton status

I've been wondering lately if all 9 inches were the same width. Or are any narrower than the rest? I plan on putting one under my Camaro, and I want to make sure before I buy one as I come across stuff all the time. Also, were the lincolns the only cars with disk brakes on them? Or would it be wiser to find the diff and adapt disks for it? Thanks.

It's not what you buy, it's what you build!

2. lowlevell

lowlevell 1/2 ton status

I would think that they would have came in dif widths. You most likely will have to get the axles and tubes shortend to make it fit. Got to thirdgen.org (might be .com) maybe for some help. ( i'm not 100% on the link). Hope this helps.

One From None

3. chevy4x4

chevy4x4 1/2 ton status

If I were you, I'd go with a full floater corporate 14 bolt rear. Detriot locker, 5.13gears, disc brake conversion, and all the goodies.....[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]K5[​IMG]

4. baldbandit

baldbandit 1/2 ton status

While you are at it, go ahead and put a D44 in front with a t400 and 205! There used to be a 69 RS/SS on a blazer w/40's! Man was it SHARP!

baldbandit

"Have you outdriven a F**D lately?"

Check out my site!
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.baldbandit.coloradok5.com>http://www.baldbandit.coloradok5.com</A>

5. northgate

northgate Registered Member

They are not all the same width. You should be able to find one that is close enough to no require re-tubing or narrowing, though. Lincoln was the only manufacturer to have the rear discs, but man are they bulky and akward, and your Camaro is much lighter than a lincoln, so I would look into a rear disc kit, as you'll probably be better off in the long run going that route. Good choice on the 9", you should never have a problem with it, unless you really pump the engine up.

6. talldogg

talldogg 1/2 ton status

Thanks guys for the replies. It appears that the 9 inch came in different lengths, so I better do my homework before I go out and buy the first one I come across. I was think that if the narrow ones are significantly narrower, that I could search for one of those and mini-tub the rear. I want to keep the car as stock looking as possible, but I'd like to take advatage of the widest wheel possible without hacking the car up. Thanks again.

It's not what you buy, it's what you build!

7. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

wonder if he ever found his 9"?

8. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

wow was this dog up!!