Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Ford 9 inch vs. 14 BFF...COME ON!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BigBurban350, Mar 7, 2003.

1. BigBurban350

BigBurban350 1/2 ton status

I was at a party last night and these Fords guys were telling me that the Ford 9 inch rear end is the strongest axle, stronger then a 14 BFF. I could not convince them that the 14 BFF is so much stronger, atleast thats how I feel. Bigger is stronger.

2. Poohbair

Poohbair 1/2 ton status

I don't think that it is any stronger, but 1 reason that people like the 9" so much is because it is smaller, lighter, and has an additional bearing on the pinion for pinion support. I guess it all depends on what you are going to do w/ it. I mean, when is the last time that you saw a drag car w/ a 14bolt?

3. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I don't know, but I think the 14 Bolt FF is stronger. Don't try argueing with Furd guys, serously, they bought a Furd to begin with, so you know they don't know sh!t about vechiles as it is. /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif

4. TONYP

TONYP 1/2 ton status

the 14ff is the strongest, but with a little mod on the 9" it can be just a strong...it is lighter so if you look at weight to strength issue then the 9" would win...

5. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

14BFF

Huge axles, cheap as hell to build, lock, repair, find.

Ask those same Ford guys why all the mud trucks set up to a 14BFF. Reference the last few month of 4WOR for Fords that have 14BFF.

6. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

There was a recent and semi-heated discussion about this very subject here on CK5 9in VS. 14BFF /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

The 14 bolt is stronger in trucks, that's for sure. Put a 41 spline converted 9" in a 1 ton tow truck that has a diesel, the 9" wouldn't last a week because the housing would take a taco shape way before the 14 bolt would. Don't forget ring gear and carrier size.
    But it's all on it's use, but in the end, the 14 bolt is stronger... housing, carrier, bearing, and ring and pinion wise.

8. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

[ QUOTE ]
    housing, carrier, bearing, and ring and pinion wise.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't forget axle size, plus it also has the pinion support bearing and is a full floater. We are comparing stock versus stock aren't we?

Rene

9. ZonkRat

ZonkRat 1/2 ton status

This is like the 1/2 vrs 1 ton issue.Stk vrs stk the 14B is stronger.Built axles are not stock. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    the 14ff is the strongest, but with a little mod on the 9" it can be just a strong...it is lighter so if you look at weight to strength issue then the 9" would win...

[/ QUOTE ] But how would that 9" compare if the same money that is spent to mod the 9, is spent to mod the 14 Bolt FF ??? If you're going to compare a modified 9", then compare it to a modified 14 Bolt FF.

11. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

Thats true, but if you're looking for light weight and you have the money, and you dont need super strength since, aftera ll, you're not driving a 1 ton tow truck, then i think the 9 incher would win, from what i am hearing. But if you dont care aboue weight and just want brute strength and convenience (parts,labor, etc) then 14bff all the way, thats whats going under mine!

12. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

There was a letter in the tech section of 4wor once (I don't remember what month). The guy asked about two different axles which were stronger. The 4wor editor gave the guy a list and said the 14b ff was definately stronger than the 9in.

13. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    if you dont care aboue weight and just want brute strength and convenience (parts,labor, etc) then 14bff all the way,

[/ QUOTE ] /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Thats why I bought a 14 Bolt FF for my rig.

14. TONYP

TONYP 1/2 ton status

the 14ff is stronger then the 9" and if you did mod the 14ff it would be bullet proof...I was just comparing the strength to weight issue, the 9" is lighter and even if you bumped up the 14FF it would not give you anymore ground clearance because its just big...now for what most guys here do...mud rocks...the 14FF is the simple choice for parts and availability, I even have one ready to install. Now don't get me going, or I'll get the 12 bolt guys in on this post... /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

15. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

It's all good. Kinda like it when the 12 Bolt guys get going. I love hearing everyones opinion. It opens up different options and ideas.

16. K5Dan

K5Dan 1/2 ton status

question if you heavily modified a 12 bolt could it compare to 9 inch ?

17. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

if i wanted a smaller rear axle than a ff14b... I'd prolly get a D60. match the front, lots of gear ratios, and ones that have the higher spline axles its plenty strong. just my 2 cents. the furd 9" is unquestionably a good axle... but stock vs stock the ff14b is better for hardcore offroad use.

j

18. Lonnie

Lonnie 1/2 ton status

In the car racing world, rears are rated best to worst as follows.

In stock form
    Dana 60
    Ford 9" (iron center section is limiting factor)
    12 bolt

Modified with best parts... spools axles etc.
    Ford 9" (due to better pinion support)
    Dana 60
    12 bolt.

The truck 12 bolt is weaker than the car axle due to smaller pinion stem diameter, so take this into account.

From experience, all of these rears in modified form will take 1000hp & dip into the 8's in a full weight Camaro or Mustang (3500-3700lb w/ driver). I currently have a '68 Camaro with 632rwhp, running in the 10's with a stock 12 bolt (added heat treated spiders & good posi clutches to the stock axle)with no problems. In comparision, my pickup with a 427 has broken a few 12 bolts (ring & pinion, Eaton posi's etc.) with less power (approx 450hp). Mostly due to extra weight, 35" tires & pinion flex under these conditions. Never expected to brake the spider gears though.

14 bolts are rather strong (stronger than all the above in stock form) & with a Detroit locker, hard to break if set up properly. I did have a rather well built 377 small block (left over sprint car motor parts, Brodix heads, solid roller, 12.5:1 comp) that would occasionally break these in a '77 pickup, but it was running 12's in a full size 4x4 (launching w/ a 4 speed in 2nd at 6k)is not easy on parts. The pinion & bearings would actually break a hole through the front of the housing. 33" x 14.50" slicks were good for 1.5-2ft high wheelstands off the starting line. Now, 15+ years later, I wish I had all those parts I ruined.

Anyway, here is some information for your reference to further supplement future arguments.

19. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

Sounds like you really give your rigs a beatin!!!!

20. ZonkRat

ZonkRat 1/2 ton status

Us old guys don't beat on them.We just use them at their full potential. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif