Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Ford 9 inch??

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by big76, Sep 25, 2000.

1. big76

big76 Registered Member

Iv'e heard that one of the best rearends you can put under an off road vehicle is a ford 9 inch. I have one with factory disc brakes but I was wondering how much work it will be and if i'll be able to do it myself. I can do it all except for cutting and welding. I want to put it under a '76 blazer with a 6inch lift and 35 inch tires. I also am wondering what gears to run. I mainly use it for fun and I have a th350 trans hooked to a 350 motor

2. realsquash

realsquash 1/2 ton status

Those are fine, fine rear ends. I'm not quite sure what had factory disc brakes (old lincoln?), but if you make sure the width is at least the same as your original rear axle (or up to 4" wider i'd say), you shouldn't have any problem except the wheel bolt-pattern.

Squash
    http://www.trailrunners4x4.org/users/realsquash

3. big76

big76 Registered Member

The 9inch was from an old '78(?) Ford LTD Landau. ex-demolition derby car.

4. Woodman89

Woodman89 Registered Member

The ford 9" is a great rearend, but if you have a lincoln rear it may not be a good choice for a truck because they have fixed calipers. Fixed calipers produce a lot of stress on the rotors, and when you factor in the amount of force it takes to stop a truck (opposed to a lincoln) it may be a problem. Im sure it can be done, but it might work better in the long run to just get a disk conversion kit that has floating calipers. Not to mention some of the parts for a linclon rear are hard to come by if the one you have is not complete (dust shields, ebrake brackets, seals). Ive done this conversion before on a mustang (sorry guys).

5. ken

ken 1/2 ton status

Also, beware of the extrememly low pinion on the 9", further aggravating driveshaft angle when you're already 6" lifted. Also, ever seen the thickness of a 9" housing? Pretty darn thin! I say if you want beef, put a 60 under there, or a 14 bolt FF.

ken

6. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Yeah I'd say leave the car stuff (especially Ford car stuff) to the car guys and get some real beef. I've seen a number of busted up 9" Fords under pretty tame trucks, but it is a pretty rare day to see a blown 14 bolt FF.[​IMG]

Not only that but the 14 bolt will swap right in without cutting or welding, and it has nice big brakes. I've seen 14 bolts sold for as little as $100, they are pretty common.

Just my humble biased opinion [​IMG]

Rene

[​IMG]

7. BUDDY

BUDDY 1/2 ton status

A 9" rear is a very good rear for just about any vehicle. One thing to consider though is the low pinion height. the yoke comes out really low on a 9" and you need to be sure that you won't have any driveshaft binding problems. The best way to do that is to point the yoke of the axle almost directly, (about 1-2 degrees below) at the t-case yoke and then use a c-v joint driveshaft. It shouldn't be a problem to adapt it to your blazer, but with a 6" lift and the low pinion location, it's something you have to consider.

HTH

Buddy

I've got my dream truck and it's a 72 K-5 that is getting there!!

8. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Well a Nine is one of the better things to come out of Ford that I will admit. But I will also add what I have seen on two nines that gives me concern as a off road axle. The first is they have this nasty habbit of breaking the third member on one of the internal pinion supports. I have seen 3 of these broken with trucks own by two of my buds. The second is they don't like taking pops from the side. Both my buds truck have busted the races (one has busted 2 sets) on the wheel bearings from side impacts. They do not run a open ended bearing where it wont hurt it to slide in or out some. The bearing retains the wheel and heavy shock side loading like slipping into at rock will break them. Get a 14...you can't hurt them without really trying.

Diging it in the dirt with my K5's
    Grim-Reaper
    http://grimsk5s.coloradok5.com/

9. Donovan

Donovan 1/2 ton status

A 9 inch is lower than a Dana 60 but the pinion is also 2" shorter than a dana 60. So you can make the driveline longer and you will be in about the same boat as a Dana 60. I think that you add a back brace and you will never have a problem with it.

Donovan

10. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

One thing thats nice about the 9 inch is the fact that there are some really beefy replacement parts for it. Not only can you get 35 spline axle shafts for it, but I believe I read somewhere you can also get a Detroit Locker that will work with those axles. You can also get the housings directly from Currie that are way better than stock.
    As for using that stock axle out of a car...I don't know. 35's might be pushing it.
    Remember the TTC guys from a couple years ago with the old Bronco and the newer one. They both had 44 inch tires and 9 inch rearends...but the axles also had 40 spline axle shafts, etc.

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad

11. nyyef

nyyef 1/2 ton status

in my opinion look for a 14 FF. in my opinion, humble opinion, personal opinion, NOT A FACT opinion, just an opinion, the 14 is stronger......the end of my opinion.

Knife.
    knife.coloradok5.com