Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Ford Brake Problem

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by nkldrgr, Aug 3, 2004.

1. nkldrgr

nkldrgr Registered Member

Help, please! I have a `94 F350 4x4 with a 7.3. I just replaced the master cylinder, rear shoes and drums, front calipers and pads, and the proportioning valve. I did this because the pedal was soft and would slowly go all the way to the floor. The problem is that it STILL does it. There is no fluid anywhere leaking. I have bled the entire system many times using different techniques. Can anyone help???

2. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

Leaky lines somewhere? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

3. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

1. Replaced blue oval with bowtie.

2. Look at hoses -- not likely, but soft hoses can bulge out.

3. Vacuum booster shot?

-- A

4. 85_k5

85_k5 Registered Member

I used to have a 90 f250 with the 7.3 and had the exact same problem. I repaced everything to do with the brake system. Had it into the dealer and they couldnt find anything wrong. I talked to numerous people who had the same problem and no one could figure it out. Its just one of those quirks ford trucks have. The only suggestion ford had was to put an exhaust brake on for easier braking. I drove the truck for 6 years with the soft pedal and brake fade, with 38" tires and a camper and never had any problems stopping. Brakes would work great if you hammered on them, just when you were stopped they would get that soft feeling and slowly fade. Now the pedal never went to the floor but it always drove me nuts. After a while I just learned to live with it. If you find the problem let us know.

5. nkldrgr

nkldrgr Registered Member

I may just have to live with it. Thanks for your input.