Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

ford computer, chevy short block, ford 4r70W, and ford transfer case

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 75K5, Sep 24, 2002.

1. 75K5

75K5 1/2 ton status

Boy is this going to upset the gods /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

After a long discussion with a friend in detroit, I was convinced to do bad things to my chevy. I just bought the computer, harness, MAF, and sensors from a 2000 Ford explorer. It is my intention to wire that computer into a chevy 383 small block with the holley stealth-ram intake. It will be true MAF based multi-port sequential fuel injection. I have everything I need to burn chips for the ford computer, so I am not worried about the tuning. That project will start when it gets a little colder out.

Now for the hard part. I have been looking at the GM 4L80-E transmission, but I believe the ford 4R70W is a cheaper alternative. They make a version that bolts up to the ford 302, so the bolt pattern should be the same. I can rebuilt it stronger, so it should have no problem handling 600rwhp/600rwtq. I will be able to adjust my 2000 ford explorer computer to correctly run the 4R70W transmission. I can even get in and adjust all of the controls.

I am doing research now on ford transfer cases. It looks like they have some electronic-shift transfer cases that will bolt up to the 4R70W and have the front driveshaft drop on the passenger side. I know I will have to have custom length driveshafts made, but that is one of the smaller road blocks.

I wanted to drop those ideas on the group and see if there were any ideas/suggestion to add.

Brian

2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    I have been looking at the GM 4L80-E transmission, but I believe the ford 4R70W is a cheaper alternative. They make a version that bolts up to the ford 302, so the bolt pattern should be the same.

[/ QUOTE ] Ya lost me there. What does a 302 have to do with all of this? The Ford tranny still won't bolt to your 383 without some kind of adapter.

3. 75K5

75K5 1/2 ton status

sorry, I typed that wrong. I meant that there's already a bunch of easy ways to mate those up without fabricating parts. This place makes an adaptor to put the ford transmission on the chevy engine. http://www.advanceadapters.com

4. monte0172

monte0172 1/2 ton status

Ive put a chevy big block in a 71 ford and it wasnt too hard just alot of welding and fabricating but as far as hooking computerized stuff up i would think that if you went all ford period then it would be alot easier to tune and fabricate stuff. My project for this winter is to put a 2000 chevy 5.3 in my blazer fuel injection and all includin the new a/c. Something else that might help as far as wiring harness are concered look at http://www.painlessperformance.com/ they probably can make ot have a wiring harness specially for your needs. Just an idea. And i hope you have a welder!!!

5. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

Wow. Brave man. I would be worried about the strength and reliability of Ford electronic shift T-cases. How about Using a NP241 or something like that that came in both Fords and Chevy's? You could get one of each version and make a hybrid case that bolts to the Ford tranny but has the front output on the passenger side. Could be possible.

6. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    and have the front driveshaft drop on the passenger side

[/ QUOTE ]

what did they come in?

I havent seen any newer ford swap info around, but havent looked.