Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

ford D60 hubs or knuckles on a chevy

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by arq, Aug 15, 2002.

1. arq

arq 1/2 ton status

is it possible to put D60 knuckles on a chevy D60?? anyone done it or tried it?? I'm only worried about the hubs and spindles for now /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif /forums/images/icons/smirk.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

ARQ.

2. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

The knuckles will interchange between king pin D60's. The trick with using the Ford parts is that you'll need everything from the knuckle itself out to the bearing hub. The Ford knuckles have 5 studs (holding the spindle and caliper bracket on) instead of 6 like a Chevy or Dodge. This 5 stud pattern will force you to use the Ford brakes and spindles. The Ford spindles are shorter than a Chevy so you will also have to use the bearing hub/rotor assemblies and stub axles.

If you have a choice, I would suggest staying with Chevy outers (regardless of Ford or Chevy housing) because a 35 spline stub axle upgrade is cheaper. I know there is a true Dana part number for the 35 spline axles for a Chevy, my understanding is that there is no such Dana number for Ford applications so you have to buy a custom axle which drives the cost up.

If you don't have a choice in parts but do eventually want to upgrade to 35 spline stuff then you might want to use the Ford stuff today but plan on finding a set of knuckle out Chevy parts later.

3. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

You will need to swap the outer stub shafts, too. /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif

One of the advantages of using the Ford parts is the calipers are the dual piston.

KRAZIE87K5 has Ford outer parts on his GM D60. May send him a PM and see what he has to say about it. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

4. arq

arq 1/2 ton status

i am not concered about the brakes(plates/calipers/etc) i want to use 3/4 ton rotors and calipers. i think the ford d60 would be much easier to work with than the chevy. i'll take a look sometime today and compare them.

ARQ.

5. nvrenuf

Since the brakes don't matter, you're good to go! Just use the spindles, bearing hubs and stubs. Don't forget about the 35 spline upgrade cost problem though.

Just curious, why do you feel the Ford would be easier to work with? Of course, when I ask that I'm assuming you have Chevy stuff - if not I understand.

6. arq

arq 1/2 ton status

the backing plates on the chevy are curved so as to go under the rotor and in towards the center of the axel, and then up. the fords(i still have to confirm this) have a strait backing plate, no curves no bends. therefore the backing plate for a 3/4 ton caliper would be much simpler to fab. it could be that the ford rotor is a bit more narrow. i don't know. i am still in the early stages of this "experiment", so this is all hypothetical /forums/images/icons/smile.gif I'll keep you guys posted. as for the 35 spline upgrade, i am not really concered about that since i'll be running 35" tires. the purpose of this is putting 3/4 ton rotors on a d60. there is a lot less griding on theh 3/4 caliper than there is on a 1 ton.

ARQ.

7. nvrenuf

Cool! I completely understand the caliper grinding thing. I think I saw recently (on this site) where somebody welded some tabs on their 60 knuckles in order to use a small GM caliper and 3/4 ton rotors.

You are correct, the Ford brackets are perfectly straight (I have a set).

8. arq

arq 1/2 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    welded some tabs on their 60 knuckles

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't really feel safe about welding brake parts together. I rather go down to 3/4 rotors and minimize grinding than grind a d60 caliper to fit a 15" rim or weld /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif

i am glad you confirmed that the Bplates are flat. how do the rotors on the chevy vs ford differ? I have access to both diffs but i have not had time to compared them. anyone know from the top of their head.

ARQ.

9. nvrenuf

I don't know the differences on the rotors but I do have both at home, if you need I can measure and/or post pics tonight.

10. K10ANDYKHAMNIC

K10ANDYKHAMNIC 1/2 ton status

hey arq , what if ya just used the ford rotors on the chevy 60 ? maybe then the wheel or sumthing might not work ... hmmm ....

11. arq

arq 1/2 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    what if ya just used the ford rotors on the chevy 60 ?

[/ QUOTE ]

that will defy the purpose of wanting to put 15" rims on the d60 wim minimal grinding. may be the ford 3/4 rotors will work for me but i won't know till i checkem out.

ARQ.

12. K10ANDYKHAMNIC

K10ANDYKHAMNIC 1/2 ton status

er i meant turn them down also to fit with the 3/4 brakes bcuz they have less backspacing . der it sounded good in my head the first time er sumthing ...