Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Ford D60

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by okie k5, Nov 30, 2003.

1. okie k5

okie k5 Registered Member

So I was talking to a guy who wants to sell me the running gear out of a CUCV. It has a D60 Front and the 14blt rear. I have an 88 K5 and I was told that the swap was pretty easy up front , but in the rear I would have to relocate the spring perches and possible a shock mount. Well I have a rear D60 out of an 81 F250. I am pretty sure it is a full floater. I was thinking if I gotta relocate the suspension hardware on a 14 blt and pay for it why not swap this Ford Dana 60 (sounds kinda weird) in and put disk brakes on it and relocate the suspension hardware. Does anyone have any advice. I don't necessarily need the extra stamina the 14 bolt has over the D60. Plus there is a heck of a lot more stuff out there for D60s. Thanks for your time

2. rodzzilla

rodzzilla 1/2 ton status

I'd be more inclined to keep the 14 bolt. You will probably have to move the mounts on the 60 as well. It is a lot easier to find disk brake brackets for the 14. It is currently geared the same as your front axle. It might already have the detroit locker, if not, it is easy and cheaper to install one in the 14. If you are not sure about welding perches, you could always locate a bare 3/4 14 bolt housing and transfer all associated parts.

3. supersize75

supersize75 1/2 ton status

ok, the 60 in the rear is not a cheap axel to buy parts for, I have a full floater in mine, with out moving the perches, they just put some extra stress on the shackle, no problem for a few monthes, I am very hard on my blazer and no issues yet, even with loose u-bolts and a heavy foot /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

I have since put new u-bolts in though /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

flame all ya want, my time is better spent on the cross over, doubler and d60 right now /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. 88K5Jimmy

88K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Keep the 14 bolt. It already has matched gears and a detroit. The spring perches are going to have to be relocated, don't know exactly how hard that is but moving the shock mounts is nothing to sweat over. You will have to get either a new conversion u-joint for the rear or a longer d-shaft depending on how much lift you are going to have.

On a side note, I noticed you were a safety engineer. Where do you work and did you have any schooling? Just curious because I am in the school of Fire Protection and Safety Technology at OSU.

5. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

Nothing wrong with Ford 60, but having a 14ff around gives you more to think about....

Chelsey age 5

6. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

If you don't think you need the FF14B you could swap the 60 in. BUT, if the 14 came from a CUCV and hasn't be monkeyed with it will have a Detroit, It will be a full floater, and it will have the 4.56 gears that match the front D60. If the rear 60 you would be getting is a semi-float, open, limited slip, or geard other than 4.56 I'd stay w/ the 14.

7. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

BS D60 rear can be either ff or sf....Mine is ff....

The rest makes sense though.... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

Too many reasons to use the 14FF...

- shafts (D60FF is 1.31" vs. 1.5" of the 14FF)
    - ratios (haven't seen a Ford rear D60 with 4.56 since 1972)
    - wheels (Ford axles need wheels with a larger center hole)
    - is it a D60 for sure? Could even be a D61...
    - full-floating (many '80s Ford D60s are semi-float)
    - brakes (12x2.5 on Ford, 13x3.5 on CUCV)

9. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Too many reasons to use the 14FF...

- shafts (D60FF is 1.31" vs. 1.5" of the 14FF)
    - ratios (haven't seen a Ford rear D60 with 4.56 since 1972)
    - wheels (Ford axles need wheels with a larger center hole)
    - is it a D60 for sure? Could even be a D61...
    - full-floating (many '80s Ford D60s are semi-float)
    - brakes (12x2.5 on Ford, 13x3.5 on CUCV)

[/ QUOTE ]

All the info here is right except I don't recall ever hearing of a rear D61, they made them for front not rears and I think they were on Dodges, but I could be wrong.

10. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    All the info here is right except I don't recall ever hearing of a rear D61, they made them for front not rears and I think they were on Dodges, but I could be wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's funny... I always knew about the Ford D61, but the Dodge D61 front was news to me /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

The F250 used the D61 from 73-85. It was full-floating thru '79, then in '80 a semi-float (c-clip) version came about also. I'm hearing they're all 35-spline, and are a beefier housing all around (webbing/tubes).

It actually sounds like a pretty good axle if you're happy with a lunch-box locker and can use the "tall" ratios... I was actually looking for one until I found my 3.21 14FF /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

11. okie k5

okie k5 Registered Member

Thanks for the info I appreciate it.

For Pistol Pete I graduate in December from Southeastern and I have three offers right now. One in California, with a construction company, One with the USAF as civilian Safety Personnel and one in Kansas City with a Construction Company. My degree is Occupational Safety and Health and I did a Coop with Toyota Motor Manufacturing of Indidana.

12. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That's funny... I always knew about the Ford D61, but the Dodge D61 front was news to me /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

The F250 used the D61 from 73-85. It was full-floating thru '79, then in '80 a semi-float (c-clip) version came about also. I'm hearing they're all 35-spline, and are a beefier housing all around (webbing/tubes).

It actually sounds like a pretty good axle if you're happy with a lunch-box locker and can use the "tall" ratios... I was actually looking for one until I found my 3.21 14FF /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Well see I said I could be wrong, I knew it was a non GM, but like I said I never heard of a rear D61.
    I will do some more research.