Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Ford Dana 44 front end swap ?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by ABLAZN, May 21, 2006.

1. ABLAZN

ABLAZN Registered Member

OK, I am a new guy here. I am sure this question has been asked here before, but I can't find it in a search. I am dropping a 5.7 Vortec/4L60-E/ 241 combo into my 1970 K-5. This of course puts my driveline on the wrong side. I have been told that I can put in a Dana 44 from a Ford and chane my knuckles over from my Chevy. My question is is there any certain Dana 44 that I need, and are there any other parts (or labor) that I need to complete the job? Thank in advance from the new guy. !!!:bow:

2. redneckdude

redneckdude 1/2 ton status

if you are wanting to run a half ton front end, just keep what you have and find a 241 from a 89-91 blazer or burb. I want to do a similar swap, but with a ford d60 for the larger brakes on it. it would require the IFS 241 to work, like what you are talking about using, but if it were up to me and i had to chose between build an axle to swap in or jsut swapping in a new, fairly inexpensive, t-case, the case would be my choice.

3. jk3078

jk3078 1/2 ton status

I have heard that the 78-79 44 3/4 ton ford (high pinion) will bolt right in. You can use chevy six lug outers but you could also just get a single rear wheel 1 ton 14b that will bolt into your 70 and run it eight lug. any other ford front end will take a lot of fab work as all the 1/2 ton 44 used a coil spring/radius arm front suspension.

4. ABLAZN

ABLAZN Registered Member

My donor rig is a 1999 Tahoe, so I am all ready somewhat committed to using the 241 T-case that came with because it will make hooking up the computer easier. I still need to do some research on that. It seems that any Ford F250 Dana 44 with an open knuckle would work, but PLEASE correct me if I am wrong.

5. jk3078

jk3078 1/2 ton status

I think 77 and older 3/4 ton fords had drum brakes and mabey closed knuckels. They made alot of trucks in 78-79 so finding one might not be that hard. What about a 60? A little more expense but lots more years to chose from not to mention BEEFY!

6. ABLAZN

ABLAZN Registered Member

The 60 is really overkill for my rig. It is going to be a road warrior that will spend more time at cruise-ins and such, then off road. So the extra cost just does not make cents. The nice thing is that I can live with what I have for awhile if I am keeping it on the pavement. I still want the option of locking them in if the urge hits me to go play in the future.

7. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

'76 is the 1st year for open knuckle & disc on the F250 - external (big) hub I believe. In '77.5 they upgraded to high-pinion and the internal (small) hub.

F150 supercab is also leaf sprung. It's 5-lug though, so the outers probably aren't much use.

8. ABLAZN

ABLAZN Registered Member

I guess my question is can I just switch my outers from my 1/2 ton on to the Ford.

9. jk3078

jk3078 1/2 ton status

I think swapping over the outers would work as long as its dana 44 to dana 44. You might have to swap over the knuckels also as ford and chevy 44 spindals and such are not compatible

10. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

i have a ford friend and he is a 79-older freek. the 1/2 ton ext cab was leaf sprung. 44 5 lug front. but find them.

11. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

I have an 8 lug Ford HP 44 open knuckle disc. email if interested.

12. MaxPF

MaxPF 1/2 ton status

The only thing you need is the electronic speedo. You have two easy options here. First is to get a 241 out of a 90-91 K5 or burb that already has the electronic speedo reluctor and pickup in it. I think the reluctor (also called a tone wheel) has the same tooth count in both the 90-91 and the later Tahoe/truck apps. If not, it is a simple matter to swap the one from the Tahoe t-case into the K5/burb t-case. The other option, assuming you get an 89 241 (or just want to do it anyway with a 80-91) is to swap the output shaft w/reluctor, speedo pickup housing, and slip-yoke housing from the Tahoe t-case into the K5/burb case. I should mention that you can also get the SYE kit from JB Conversions and install it into the 89-91 K5/burb t-case. Just use the reluctor and speedo housing from the Tahoe case when you reassemble it. Any of these will work fine, and will be much preferable (not to mention much easier) than swapping the front axle.

Oh, one other thing I almost forgot. I don't remember if the Tahoe case is electrically shifted or manually shifted, but either way a switch will be needed to tell the computer when the case is in low range. It will work without the switch, but the computer may end up thinking the tranny is slipping and run the tranny's pump pressure up, causing harsh shifting. Such a switch is easily added to the t-case shifter. I would suggest a roller-tipped lever switch mounted so that the t-case shift lever depresses it when you pull the shifter into 4LO. I would mount the switch under the stock 89-91 shifter floor console. If you mount it beneath the vehicle, make sure it it protected from mud and other debris.

13. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

Yes - the outers swap. 10b/d44 makes no difference. You get the benefit of a high-pinion housing in the process. Spring spacing on the 79-older is the same as GM.

Wether I chose the axle or t-case solution would depend on what I had available, price, driveshaft angle, and ratio.

14. ABLAZN

ABLAZN Registered Member

Everyone, THANKS for the info. It gives me some options to think about. I have just found a Dana 44 F250 front end from a '77. The guys is selling it for $400 with the matching Dana 60 limited slip rear end. Is that a fair price?