Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Ford Diesel ?

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by kennyw, Mar 15, 2004.

1. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

I have an '89 F350 w/7.3L IDI. Currently it has been surging (rpm increasing) when stopped at stoplights and sometime it will do this while driving down the road. Usually after it has been driven a while.

180K miles on the truck now and I bought it at an auction with 140K so I am unsure of the history before I got it.

I am thinking it is possibly a problem with the injector pump? I probably need to replace the injectors and fuel filter soon as well (definitly wont hurt).

2. BlueBlazer

BlueBlazer 1/2 ton status

Put a clear hose on your return line to see if you are getting air into the system.

3. Don

Don 1/2 ton status

Surging/Hunting is caused by a worn injector pump, it most likely need's to be freshend up. Have the injector's gone through at the same time, change the fuel filter before you try to bleed it and fire it up. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

4. BlueBlazer

So air in the system cant cause a surge?

5. Don

Don 1/2 ton status

Any air that is past the injection pump, and into the injector line's will be purged. Air caught in the pump as in, hunting/surging, mean's seal's, o-ring's, etc. have gone south in the fuel injection pump, hence the need for getting it freshened up. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

6. BlueBlazer

So if you have say a leaking fuel filter base or loose clamp on the inlet line, the resultant air from that will not cause a problem eh? I agree that if you get one big slug of air like when you change a fuel filter it will purge, but thats not the case if air is continually being brought in.

Edit: I would like to say that I am not saying that it can't be a pump problem, just saying that he should eliminate air in the system as a problem before he goes throwing parts at it.

7. Don

Don 1/2 ton status

Well sure he'll have to seal up the fuel line's as good as he can to get fuel to the pump, not air. Ford's have a problem with the injector return line's puking fuel too, replacement kit's with new hose's/clamp's are available for cheap. Anything with that amount of mile's is bound to have worn seal's, o-ring's in the pump, IH, GM, Duramax, whatever thing's wear out. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

8. BlueBlazer

Specifically what o-rings in the pump? Only seals I know of are throttle shaft seals and governor cover gaskets. A bad seal on the pump itself will cause a fuel leak, not an air leak, thus if air was getting in it would be on the suction side before the pump where there are a host of places air could be sucked in.

9. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

Made it out to MN and took a look at it. Changed the fuel filter, finding a lot of crud in the bottom of the bowl. Added some injector cleaner to the tank and fired it up. It jumped up to 1600 RPM as a high idle! Found the high idle solenoid was the problem all along. It was just sticking.