Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Ford, Dodge or GM....Not the typical post/questions...

Discussion in 'Tow & Trailer' started by Zeus33rd, Aug 9, 2004.

1. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

We've all seen and read the various and numerous posts- Duramax vs Powerstroke vs Cummins. I want to start a differnet kind of discussion with this thread. Engine/tranny combinations aside, Which of the three trucks would make the best DD/tow rig combination? Things like ride quality, handling, creature comforts etc. Which truck better for the long road trips? I'm leaning towards the GM HD's in this department. In my opinion, they have the most comfortable and accomidating interior. And I think there's no doubt that the IFS front design rides/handles better. You can talk about solid axle this solid axle that, solid axles are stronger/more HD etc etc, but If I'm gonna buy a tow rig, I'm probably gonna spend alot of extended periods of time in it. Therefore creature comforts, ride quality and handling etc, are important. To me atleast. I don't want a truck thats gonna beat me to death on long trips, I want to be comfy. I feel that the GM HD's win in this matter. What do you guys think? Remember try to keep the engine tranny debeates out of this thread. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

2. BlueBlazer

BlueBlazer 1/2 ton status

Spend a day in all three and make your own decision /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. Zeus33rd

[ QUOTE ]
    Spend a day in all three and make your own decision /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Well yeah, I could do that. But thats not as easy it sounds. I know people with these rigs, but no one is gonna let me take one for a day to "feel it out". I know that there are people here with these rigs, so I thought I'd ask for thier experiences. Not only for me either, this kinda post can be beneficial to others as well. /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif

4. BlueBlazer

No dealerships near you?

5. Zeus33rd

Yes there are. All 3 of them. Ford, Dodge and GM. And I will do that one day, when I closer to making a purchase. For now I'm just researching. Want to hear from people that own these rigs. Good and bad points etc..

Now just let me have my post in piece dammit! /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

6. BlueBlazer

OK, sorry

7. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

If you get a fully loaded truck with power everything, leather, etc. all 3 are really nice trucks. I actually prefer the leather seats in the dodge over the other two and I like the dash layout in them also. I would imagine that the GM IFS rides slightly better than the other 2 but probably not much, I never noticed a ride difference between the 3 trucks. Regardless, I have driven an HD truck from all 3 and I like them all.

8. Zeus33rd

[ QUOTE ]
    OK, sorry

[/ QUOTE ]

No need to apologize dude...lol. Just messin with ya. /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

[ QUOTE ]
    If you get a fully loaded truck with power everything, leather, etc. all 3 are really nice trucks. I actually prefer the leather seats in the dodge over the other two and I like the dash layout in them also. I would imagine that the GM IFS rides slightly better than the other 2 but probably not much, I never noticed a ride difference between the 3 trucks. Regardless, I have driven an HD truck from all 3 and I like them all.

[/ QUOTE ]

You like the dash layout on the Dodges over the GM's? Hmm...I think the Ford dash layout is retarded and ugly. Yuck. Dodge is "ok", but the GM always seemd alot more refined and *gasp* carlike. Carlike, in this case, is good as far as I'm concerned. Car's are, generaly speaking, more comfortable than HD trucks.

9. BlueBlazer

I do have some personal experience with these rigs I could share. My dad owns an 03 Dodge 2500, 2wd, regular cab. Inside is very comfortable, only problem I see is the damn seatbelt doesn't retract all the time and gets caught in the door. It rides real nice loaded or unloaded. A good friend of mine just bought an extended cab, 4wd 2500 HD and it rides real nice too. As far as a comparison between the two, the Dodge you can feel the road more, which I like, and the Chevy feels real numb, like you are driving an old Caddie which I dont like, but some people do like that. I realize, one is 2wd and the other 4wd, so apples to oranges I guess, but I have a feeling that the 4wd Dodges drive similar.

10. willyswanter

willyswanter 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Everyone who has ridden in my 03 dodge 4wd has mentioned that it rides nicer and smoother than my 96 chevy did stock with ifs 4wd.

I also like the dodge dash and interior the most out of the big 3. I do not like the chevy's, I never have liked their dashes after 99, not sure why, just don't. The dodge is very nice and doesn't rattle, my chevy rattled all the forkin time even the day it rolled off the lot. The only thing in the dodge that doesn't appeal to me are the seats in the front. Alot of guys on TDR are adding padding to them and it makes them 200% better, after long trips my butt goes numb. I rode in a 2004 Tahoe the other day and didn't like it's seats either so I dunno if they are the same as the trucks...

11. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

I owned a 98 Dodge Ram 1500 2WD QC and liked it a lot. Made several cross country East/West Coast trips. No real complaints at all. No mechanical problems and it rode quite well. Layout was nice too. However, "quality" and "fit and finish" wasn't there. Visible screws, plastic panels (clearly cheap molded plastic) everywhere, just seemed "cheap". And the seats were adequate, but not exactly comfy after hours on the road. Too firm but really not all that bad.

Then on one trip to the east coast I decided to trade to a bigger truck and wound up with a 2500HD 4x4 Crew Cab. I had 3 main reasons for the trade. Needed more space in a Crew Cab, 4x4, and more hauling capability with a diesel.

One thing I noticed after trading, the Dodge had lots of storage even though it still didn't have a "real" crew cab! I thought I never would figure out where to put the stuff (gun, radar detector, GPS, CDs, laptop gear, maps, ...) in the new truck. Dodge had a much better cup holder too, surprising how much I notice(d) that... /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif The Ford interior just felt "wrong". The remember thinking they must have reused a steering wheel from a Mustang or something, it was MUCH smaller than most trucks and just looked/felt weird in a truck that size. Probably would get used to that though. Also seemed like nothing was in quite the right spot, gauges blocked by my hands when comfy, or the wheel that wasn't big enough to glance through, knobs that were just a little too hard to reach belted in and driving, hard to explain. Probably just that I was used to the Dodge and the GM was more similar in those things. Still, that was one of the things that caused me to go GM… I felt the overall quality was better than the Dodge offering inside and out, in most ways, comparable to the GM with a little give and take. Probably didn't give it a fair shot just due to my lack of "comfort" driving it…

I did the "24 hour test drive" twice with GM, and the others didn't have that. I did drive a Dodge for several hours as well as a Ford. My take on IFS vs. Solid is not so much the "ride" (although I did think the IFS rode better and more predictably on some roads), but the steering/handling. The IFS drives much better, less wonder on bad roads, just better "feel" and stability both in ride and steering/handling. Hard to explain, drive each one over dippy, wavy, rutty, patched roads at speed and you'll see, particularly when braking in a turn on a bad road. The GM is just much more "in control".

So, Dodge got eliminated primarily due to lack of a real crew cab (which they still don't have) and the Cummins at the time was so noisy I thought it might get old. I also found out that I had access to "employee pricing" for GM and Ford, so Dodge dropped off the chart. GM won out over Ford (I could get loaded versions of each for similar prices, Ford being a bit cheaper) mainly due to simple "it felt right" interior and the IFS was VERY noticeably more capable in the twisty, poor quality AL back roads. Probably comes down to much lower un-sprung weight and better ability to design things like "lift from side force" (like anti-squat) into an IFS rather than have to rely on bushings and a sway bar. On the other hand, the DMax was still relatively new and lots of guys had (what turned out to be B.S). stories about nightmares with the aluminum heads and Allison. These had the "smell" of cross-brand bashing b.s. and I couldn't find solid evidence of a real problem (or even documented real events or people that had experienced it) so I cautiously lowered the weight of this "helpful advice"

So I ponied up the extra money and bought the GM and the rest is history. Never second guessed my choice to this day. Each has their own pro/con list, you have to figure out what each point means to you and decide.

And finally, research that 6.0 PS well before even considering a Ford. Look at what the Ford boys are saying! It's a given that the GM and CTD advocates are going to say bad things just like "the others" did about DMax/Alli, but when the Ford boys do…

12. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    And finally, research that 6.0 PS well before even considering a Ford. Look at what the Ford boys are saying! It's a given that the GM and CTD advocates are going to say bad things just like "the others" did about DMax/Alli, but when the Ford boys do…

[/ QUOTE ]Too add, if you are looking at adding any kind of aftermarket programmer wanting cheap reliable extra power the PS doesn't compare to the Dmax & CTD. Probably because the market hasn't caught up with the 6.0 yet. I know you said no motor talk but what is available through aftermarket influenced me on what truck I wanted and figure it could for you too.

13. Zeus33rd

Thanks Rus. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Thats exactly the kind input I was looking for. Mostly unbiased and objective. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

Jason, which interior set up does your truck have? Is it the leather one? Or cloth? I have heard that, on the Dodges, you pretty much have to get leather to get decent seats. Is this true?

As far as the Fords go, for me, they arent really even a consideration. Don't really like anything about them. Just added the Ford to cover all the bases.

14. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

[ QUOTE ]
    Thanks Rus. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    Jason, which interior set up does your truck have? Is it the leather one? Or cloth? I have heard that, on the Dodges, you pretty much have to get leather to get decent seats. Is this true?

[/ QUOTE ]
    That is also my impression. I had cloth seats, which I generally prefer, and they were absolutely fine for around town or a few hours. But cross country endurance runs, they got old. The leather does feel cushier, just like in the GM, but I don't like the sweaty slippery feel of leather. I guess I'm just weird, but I would generally prefer high quality cloth to leather... No choice in the upper end trucks though, they all want to force you to take leather whether you want it or not. Pretty much the only way to avoid is special order since the dealers ALWAYS get leather, and some, like Ford in the Lariat, will not even allow you to special order without leather. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

15. willyswanter

Yeah I have cloth, the leather seats are comfy but I don't like leather, can't stand it actually... I have thought about taking a set of seats to match the ones in my 96 chevy and put in there, they are really comfortable on long drives but it would take some work to get them in there. Maybe some air rides /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

16. Zeus33rd

Hmmm, so much food for thought. How is the comparison between cloth seats and leather on the GM's? Same story as with the Dodges?

I can say one thing about all this for certain, for a looong time I was pretty much set in my mind with what truck I wanted. After reading a few different articles and researching a bit more into the different things available, I'm definatley on the fence now. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

17. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Me too KJ??
    I am doing a refi and my wife has agreed to give me a 'TowRig fund'. I don't know how much I am gonna end up with but somewere around 30K. I am leaning toward a GM with Dodge 2nd.
    My wife's expedition has leather. I just did a road trip up to Oregon and back in it. The leather seats didn't hassel me too much. With the AC running my butt didn't get sweaty like I expected it too. All in all the leather wasn't that bad. I have always been a 'cloth seat guy' but I may change to leather...kinda worried about thrashing it though?
    /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gifsitting on the fence next to KJ /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

18. willyswanter

Well I test drove a Duramax yesterday with my dad who's looking for a truck and the check engine light came on a block from the dealer so that made me happy to come back to the dealer and see my dodge sitting there /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

19. mud390

mud390 1/2 ton status

As far as seat comfort, I had a 2001 GMC Sierra with a cloth split 40/20/40 split bench, I currently have a 2002 Chevy Silverado ext cab with leather buckets, and a buddy of mine has a 2003 with a 40/20/40 cloth split bench. I must admit that the cloth in my 01 was very nice. Comfy to sit in, even after driving 12 hours to Georgia and I never really got the leather swamp butt in the cloth seats. My buddies 03 is the exact same way as the 01. Comfy and cool. My 02 with the leather buckets is very nice as well though. On those extended road trips, haven't driven it for more than 4 hours one way yet, without the a/c on and the windows down, swamp butt is an issue, but as long as the a/c is going, its fine. The seats are extemely comfy and the arm rest in the seat is a nice touch. Friends riding in the back seat (ext cab) said that it was a lot more comfy than other trucks they had riden in. Hope that helps. All of the trucks are 1/2 ton by the way, but the seats are the same between 1/2, 3/4, and 1 ton on Chevy and GMC trucks.

Kris

20. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

I know you are in love with your rig J

did you and your pops test drive a crew cab? If so do you think the GM or Dodge has a bigger back seat?