Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Ford dual piston calipers on GM D60...?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by fortcollinsram, Sep 17, 2003.

1. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

I will most likely be replacing the brakes on the D60 I am getting. It is possible to use Ford Dual Piston calipers on a GM D60? I figure I may be able to say a little griding with the daul piston calipers as a result of thier lower profile. Do I need a Ford backing plate? Just wondering if anybody has done this and what interchange issues there may be...

Chris

2. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

I was thinking of doing this with my D60 way back but I ditched the idea because it requires everyhing from the knuckles out off of a Ford axle. The caliper requires the right right caliper bracket which has a 5 bolt pattern for the knuckle, so everything from the knuckle out has to be swapped (including the knuckle itself).

Since the 35 spline conversion is a little more difficult on a Ford, plus the fact that Chevy and Dodge share common parts making used parts availability better, I decided not to do it.

3. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

Better braking first comes in the form of a larger OD rotor because this increases your braking torque. Piston area has to get stupid large to offset a small rotor OD increase, and that opens up some bad hydraulic compromises that have to be made.

Have a look at the now second previous body style Cummins powered Dodge (the first body the Cummins came in) 4wd front brakes. Those are some rotors !!! Aren't going to clear 15's though. 16's, yes.

4. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

Try the factory dual-piston rear calipers from a 3500HD w/wrecker prep package. I have good reason to believe they fit the Chevy D60 caliper brackets.

The Ford rotors are only 1.25" thick. The GM rotors are 1.5" thick. Not sure if the Ford calipers can reach over them.

[ QUOTE ]
    Have a look at the now second previous body style Cummins powered Dodge (the first body the Cummins came in) 4wd front brakes. Those are some rotors !!!

[/ QUOTE ]

They're exactly the same as the Chevy D60 brakes. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

5. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    Try the factory dual-piston rear calipers from a 3500HD w/wrecker prep package. I have good reason to believe they fit the Chevy D60 caliper brackets.

[/ QUOTE ]

What year(s)?

6. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    I was thinking of doing this with my D60 way back but I ditched the idea because it requires everyhing from the knuckles out off of a Ford axle. The caliper requires the right right caliper bracket which has a 5 bolt pattern for the knuckle, so everything from the knuckle out has to be swapped (including the knuckle itself).

Since the 35 spline conversion is a little more difficult on a Ford, plus the fact that Chevy and Dodge share common parts making used parts availability better, I decided not to do it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Plus....I've read and heard that the Ford D60 knuckle parts are weaker than the GM or Dodge. Too many testimonies on POR site that show the broken knuckels, due to crossover issues.

7. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

96-up.. this is the 3500HD with the 10-lug wheels.

8. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    The Ford rotors are only 1.25" thick. The GM rotors are 1.5" thick. Not sure if the Ford calipers can reach over them.

[ QUOTE ]
    Have a look at the now second previous body style Cummins powered Dodge (the first body the Cummins came in) 4wd front brakes. Those are some rotors !!!

[/ QUOTE ]

They're exactly the same as the Chevy D60 brakes. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Can't be exact. Might be close, but the Dodge rotors are ~1-5/16" thick, not 1.5" thick.
    My Raybestos parts book lists the GM's as having different p/n's from the Dodge's unless the Dodge has rotor casting No. 100353 on the 4500lbs front axle, then it's the same as the 77-87 non dual K30.

9. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    but the Dodge rotors are ~1-5/16" thick, not 1.5" thick.

[/ QUOTE ]

NapaOnline lists the same parts for a 93 W250 w/Cummins, and an 87 K30 SRW.

Rotors: UBP 85843
    Pads: RBP CMX7081A (Ceramix) or RBP AE7081AM (Metallic)
    Calipers: RBP 4422070SD (left), RBP 4422071SD (right)

I've heard about the thinner Dodge rotor before.... might have been used in the pre-Cummins era /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

EDIT: I should make sure I read your post thoroughly before I post redundant info. (Doh!) /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

10. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

I found them... along with our single-piston units for comparison:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

11. BXwildshot

BXwildshot Registered Member

Did anyone ever check this out??

12. BlackDog714

BlackDog714 1/2 ton status

Yeahhhh... More info please!

13. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

interesting....

14. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

I work at Napa and I will pull a Ford dual pistons D60 caliper and compare it to my GM D60 calipers and if they are close I may buy them and try to get them to work....

Chris

15. BXwildshot

BXwildshot Registered Member

16. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

Plus....I've read and heard that the Ford D60 knuckle parts are weaker than the GM or Dodge. Too many testimonies on POR site that show the broken knuckels, due to crossover issues.

[/ QUOTE ]

True, true, but the pic on the site is a broken CHEVY knuckle!

17. Hardcore

Hardcore 1/2 ton status

TTT Any more info??????????

18. ilikeitloud

ilikeitloud 1/2 ton status

i have ford dual piston calipers on my gm d60 but i have ford outters aswell

19. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

Well the ford calpiers mount with those pins, not bolts. So the caliper mounting bracket would need to be changed, and the knuckle to fit the calipers. The kuckle uses a 5 lug spindle so thatll have to be changed too. I think the hubs are the same.

20. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Approx what year application? Are these the same calipers you posted pics of?