Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Ford Elec. fans ROCK! Installed #1 of 2 today...

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by KRAZIE87K5, Jul 21, 2002.

1. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

So despite the 110* degree heat index today in Chicago... I decide that its a good idea to head out to the local yard to find my 2 new dual speed Ferd Elec. fans! Sure as hell was hot out there, but within a few minutes, I found two decent candidates for extraction. Went back to the car for the 10mm socket and wrench, yanked the fans, paid $50 for BOTH fans, and headed home! I still can't believe that I paid $80 for the junk "parts-store special 2200cfm fan!" The single fan that I installed on the front of the radiator (pusher) SMOKES the old electric I had!

I still plan to install one more identical "puller" fan inside the engine compartment, but after a brief test in the driveway with only the "pusher" running, the temp. stayed down much longer than it EVER had sitting in the driveway! I actually held 210* for quite some time! That's unheard of with my BBC! I can't wait to see what I can do once I get #2 installed!

As for wiring... I plan to have the puller run in "low" once swtiched power is supplied, and "high" will be triggered off of a thermostat with constant power. This way, the truck will cool itself off even without the ignition turned on.

Having said that, I need to look into a dual batt. setup prior to winter time, so I don't have to worry about smoking a battery, and not being able to get her started! I dont know that I could push start my 6200lb Blazer by myself! /forums/images/icons/blush.gif /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

Looks like I will have my cooling issues resolved VERY SOON! /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

-Dan

2. Rebel88

Rebel88 1/2 ton status

what vehicles did you pull them off of? ill have to keep my eye out for some

Later

3. fr8train

fr8train 1/2 ton status

And the donor Ford vehicle was?

4. Rebel88

Rebel88 1/2 ton status

haha beat you to it

Later

5. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

So what were the donors and were they allready set up as pusher and puller?

6. KRAZIE87K5

The DONORS were both Taurus's... mid 90's. Only 2 10mm bolts to remove, and one electric something or other to break off to get the fan out. Other than that, I chopped the fan's harness after the plugs, so that I could still unplug them if necessary. I bought 2 30amp universal relays, 2 30amp external breakers, and will reuse the thermostat from the old setup to make it all happen.

I am still thinking on how to mount the puller fan, but it'll come to me sooner than later! /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

-Dan

7. reddog64

reddog64 1/2 ton status

yeah what vehivcle???

8. KRAZIE87K5

Only the pusher is installed... unfortunately, only the HIGH speed is reversable... so the pusher will only be functional if the thermostat kicks in! Otherwise the puller will always run in LOW mode, and will kick in high along with the pusher when the temp hits ~195*.

These fans really crank. I can hardly hear the 454 over them! /forums/images/icons/blush.gif /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

-Danh

9. KRAZIE87K5

And to answer your question... they are ONLY used as pullers from the factory... but I learned quickly enuf that you can reverse the HIGH speed! /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

-Dan

10. fr8train

fr8train 1/2 ton status

Haahahaha. "jinx"...... man I miss elementry school /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

11. Rebel88

Rebel88 1/2 ton status

hell yeah...ill call king jinx on that one /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

Later

12. fr8train

fr8train 1/2 ton status

What happens if you make a custom bracket that goes inside your shroud so you can mount it like a pusher, but its really pulling? Or just fab a shroud with this type of arrangement?

13. KRAZIE87K5

Prob #1 - I don't have a stock shroud anymore... used the elec one, with no luck.
    Prob #2 - BOTH FANS won't fit on the inside... they measure 18" across the short side...

I plan to make some kind of hangers for the puller, that will screw into the top of the radiator... and then something else that will locate the lower hangers to the factory shroud bolt locations.

Also, having one puller and one pusher, I get better coverage than I would have using only one fan in its stock puller position... I'll give it a try. If I smoke the pusher from running it in reverse, then I'll have learned a $25 lesson that I can share with everyone else here! Otherwise, I gained HUGE cooling capacity. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

-Dan

14. reddog64

reddog64 1/2 ton status

did i miss the answer or has he still not told us what vehicle???
    /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif /forums/images/icons/confused.gif /forums/images/icons/confused.gif

15. fr8train

fr8train 1/2 ton status

Man those are big fans. I see now what your talking about. I have to go look at my gfs' car now...she got a 95 Taurus.... I have learned quite a few $25 lessons /forums/images/icons/grin.gif .....

16. reddog64

reddog64 1/2 ton status

pictures???

17. KRAZIE87K5

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    The DONORS were both Taurus's... mid 90's.

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/smirk.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/smirk.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/smirk.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/smirk.gif

18. KRAZIE87K5

I'll try to grab some pics later tonight... /forums/images/icons/wink.gif Gotta get my bud to come over with his camera! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

-Dan

19. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

were is the fan control thermostat located?
    should be in the cold side of the rad.
    wonder if those are the same as the lincoln ones?

20. KRAZIE87K5

I've got the thermostat jabbed thru the lower driver's side of the radiator fins. The POT that controls the temp. trigger for the fan is attached to the driver's fender for now... I might move that over to the pass. side tonight.

Think that's a good place for it, or should I locate it somewhere else? /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

-Dan