Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

ford fron D60 swap anyone done 1?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Disciples Performance, Jun 6, 2006.

1. Disciples Performance

Disciples Performance 1/2 ton status

Hey guys havent seen a Chevy D60 here in a while and for a good price but there has been lots of ford front D60's for sale recently now how hard is it to swap or is it doable in our trucks like moving spring perches or anything like that?

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

depends. If its out of anything newer than 1979, walk away. The newer ones have a spring spacing of 36.5"(about 4 or 4.5" wider than our trucks). The 1978 and 79 ones have the same spring spacing (32.5 or 32, still not sure what the spring spacings should be....) All it takes is a transfer case that drops on the driver side, rework the shock mounts and get brake lines that will work. I have one under the front of my SAS S10, had it under a K5 blazer before that.

3. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

I have a Ford HP 60 in my blazer. Its not hard however there are changes that have to be made. Obviously you need a drivers drop t case. Brakes are huge and can cause complications. It's a pretty straight forward swap.

4. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

might what gm outers as the stud size is smaller and the knuckle is 5 stud not 6 at the spindle mount section. bu the high pinion would be super nice.,

5. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Both true things... but who have you known to break the spindle studs? Biggest problem I see is the wheel studs are actually a different size than a Chevy. 1/2" vs 9/16". I'm highly debating having a machine shop punch out my hubs to run 9/16" studs so I have the same lug nuts all around. I need new studs anyway.

6. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

PM K10andykhamnic he runs a ford Dana 60 in his K10:D .

Ira

7. MEK5

MEK5 1/2 ton status

The easiest way to convert your 78/79 Ford 60 over to 9/16 studs is to hit the junk yard and pick-up some bearing hubs from a Ford Dana 50 front.They are the same as the Ford 60 and all come with 9/16 studs and the yards are full of them.
    You could turn around and sell your old hubs on ebay and probably end up making money:wink1:
    I drilled out one set and bought new studs before I realized I could get the 50 hubs for about the same money as the studs cost me!

Your welcome:laugh:

8. Disciples Performance

decent info guys keep it comming hmm maybe ill do a ford d60 just dunno just yet

9. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

AWESOME, thanks

10. jekquistk5

jekquistk5 Weld nekid Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I'm thinking about this, as well.

11. mouse

mouse 1/2 ton status

I know the fords run some big calipers, so how do you address that issue? Do you have to run a ford MC?

12. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

nope. The difference in piston area isn't a whole lot, can't remember the specs for certain. The Ford has 2 smaller pistons while the chevy has 1 big piston. Equals out pretty good I do believe. Personally I'm puting 3/4" front calipers on my Ford 60. Cheaper, will be nice to have all 4 calipers be the same pieces, and I was having a hell of a time finding replacement calipers for mine(all rusted and destroyed). The calipers come in pieces. When you buy new ones at the auto store, you only get a piece of the puzzle. I didn't have the other piece to the puzzle anymore so I was screwed.

13. Disciples Performance

so guys how do u get ur t-case to adapt for the HP 60 is there an adapter kit somewhere or what?

14. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

well depends what case you have. Personally I went with a Doubler. Mine consists of a Chevy 203, and a Ford 205 so it has the proper side drop. I also have an IFS Chevy NP241 chain drive aluminum case. That also drops on the driver side. That is going into my 1997 C2500 that is being converted to 4x4 and SAS with a Ford Dana 44 front axle.