Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Ford front D44 + Chevy D44 spindles = ???????

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by AJMBLAZER, Oct 9, 2000.

1. AJMBLAZER

AJMBLAZER Better to be lucky than good. Premium Member

Okay, if you read my earlier post, the IFS is finally on my last nerves. I'm determined to get rid of it now. Damn thing just isn't up to how I 'wheel (and I don't think I even rag on it that hard), and it just was never ment to be lifted. So it's time to start getting in to this Dana 44 swap. I need to find a D44 from a late 70's Ford truck, and make it the Chevy 6 lug pattern. I've been told that this is pretty much an off/on swap, but I dunno. The guy who told me this said that you just put everything from the spindles out of a Chevy 6 lug D44 onto the Ford D44 housing and tubes. Is this true? I hope so, I want to make it as parts store basic as possible. Meaning my non-mechanical @ss can buy any part for it at the local NAPA, AutoZone, Kragen, who ever. What would I need to do this? My plan is to eventually upgrade it with ORD shafts when I have more money and am going up to the 35's and 6" lift. Until then the stock shafts should be good. Also, anyone got a clue on how the steering should be hooked up on this? I'd like crossover steering, but since I am only going to do this 3" lift now, then later the 6", as long as the 3" steering works, I don't care to much. Anyone know what the best year Ford D44 is to use, and what Chevy D44 spindles/etc will fit right? Thanks.
    I know this is kinda confusing and jumbled, but any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

1992 Blazer Sport, 350 TBI, 4L60, 3" Gibson, K&N, 3" Rancho, 285/75R16 on 16x8 Baja's [​IMG]

2. RaisedK5

RaisedK5 1/2 ton status

Yeah it should fit, i've seen a bunch of articles in all the magazines about using ford rotors on chevy spindles with the backing plate, so i don't see any reason why you cant use chevy spindles ( i think they're exactly the same) hubs rotors, etc. on the ford axle.

RaisedK5

"Friends don't let friends drive Fords"

3. Donovan

Donovan 1/2 ton status

Now don't quote me, but look for the 77 and earlier 44 out of a 1/2 ton truck. They have coils with welded on ears which can easily taken off and it is a high pinion. Some of the early Ford Dana 44 had king pins, you don't want those. Make sure the outside knuckle looks like a chevy style. If you get a 78 and later 1/2 ford they are also High Pinions but the ears for the radius arm is all cast in there and you will have a hard time trying to weld spring perches to it. Also the disc brakes that ford uses will use a 5 bolt spindle and the chevy spindle will not work. You could just use the ford center and change out the outside knuckle with a chevy knuckle and that will work also. I am sorry if that doesn't make any sense. If you want some more info let me know and I will try to explain a little more.

Donovan