Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Ford HP 60 in a Chevy, a new kind of question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mofugly13, Sep 1, 2004.

1. mofugly13

mofugly13 1 ton bucket of rust Premium Member

I was at my local driveline shop today picking up some bearings for my 8-lug conversion and I mentioned to Steve (the guy behind the counter) that I had a Ford High Pinion D60 and asked what it might be worth. He just made the gesture, rubbing his fingers and thumb together, that told me 'bucks'. He said they're in demand and that some Ford guy would pay a lot for it. I said I was more interested in trading it for a Chevy D60. He said that if I brought it in, stripped, that he could send it out and have the proper Chevy length tubes put in to put the pumpkin on the passenger side. For $400-$500 that is. I was intrigued. Then I mentioned that the Chevy 60's have the spring perch on the pumpkin itself. He said "Oh, that's right, never mind." So, I got to thinking, on the way home, if there is any way around this. So I come here to ask those who could help. I'm thinking that some sort of bracket could be made to fit the pumpkin and serve as a perch? The Ford has a perch cast into the pumpkin on the drivers side and a "bracket" of sorts that fits ti the pumpkin underneath the perch. This has four holes for the u-bolts, the ford u-bolts are square with the threads pointing at the ground. So, whaddaya think, does something like this sound do-able? I'd love to have a HP 60, but running a divorced xfer case wouldn't be too happenin' with the short azz wheelbase of my K5. Throw any and all ideas into the ring, maybe we can come up with something?? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

2. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

3. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

Yeah I was going to do this. I was just going to have the pumpkin over to the drivers side a bit, and weld a perch onto the passengerside, as close as possible. And if its too much to the drivers side, I was going to make a perch into the pumpkin.
    If you do this it is a really good idea, since then you could get the casetr and pinion set just how it needs to be, so you wont need shims! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. smprider112

smprider112 1/2 ton status

I'd say for the 400 or 500 you'd spend having them alter it, you could just sell it to a ford guy, or maybe there is a Ford guy in the same situation as you with a GM D60 lookin to trade /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. mofugly13

[ QUOTE ]
    Here is your answer. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    http://coloradok5.com/forums/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=1173743&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=31&fpart=1

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmmmmmmmm /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif $400-$500 and some fabwork, or $3800 cash? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif Gee wiz, I just can't seem to make up my mind. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif
    /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif
    I'd be doing whatever it took to get a perch on the passenger side myself, with weldments or some machining or whatever. I'll have to take a closer look at my axle and see what can be done, just bouncing ideas around now.

I realize I could sell it and use the moolah to buy a D60, but I know myself, and whenever I have $$$ burning a hole in my pocket, I spend it, usually on new guns. I'm cuckoo like that. /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif So I'd rather trade it straight up for a chevy D60, but when Steve at Bayshore Truck threw out the idea of putting the proper chevy length tubes in, it got the gears in my brain housing group meshing at full tilt. A HP 60 would be sweet, and I really enjoy the fabbing part of wheeling. The means is almost as good as the end. When I did my D70 gear swap, I needed a tool to pull the carrier bearings, and rather pay Steve $30 to do it, I spent $100 in material and a couple of weeks of time making a tool myself. Very satisfying! I also enjoy a challenge..so keep the ideas and reasons why it should/shouldn't work coming. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

why not just use it; you get the HP 60 for better driveshaft angle, and you get the drivers side pumpkin so you know what the diff will hang up on, the only drawback is you need a drivers drop x-case

7. mofugly13

Yeah, but then I gotta find and buy that tcase, that will bolt up to my th350, sounds like a pia. Are drivers drop tcases common? It's gotta bolt up to the th350 like I said. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif Sounds easy, but is that REALLY all there is to it?

8. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

you just need to find a ford 205, there was one on pirate not to long ago, then the ford-chevy adapter for the tranny.

9. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

Ford 205 or maybe a conversion to an IFS truck sourced 241?
    The HP axle is nice to have for many reasons, hence lots of people wanting them.

10. spearchucker

spearchucker 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Steve at Bayshore Truck

[/ QUOTE ]
    The one in SSF? That's about 4 blocks from me. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

11. mofugly13

That's the one. Steve behind the counter is always way helpful. I get all my r&p and driveline parts from there. Good prices too.

12. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    Yeah, but then I gotta find and buy that tcase, that will bolt up to my th350, sounds like a pia. Are drivers drop tcases common? It's gotta bolt up to the th350 like I said. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif Sounds easy, but is that REALLY all there is to it?

[/ QUOTE ]

It's not hard to do at all if your axle came out of a 78 or 79 model. They have the right spring perch width. Other year axles are like 4" to wide and then your back to the fabrication and modifying.

13. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

DO IT!!! You might want to give Lincoln Welding (916-442-4787) a call too. There in Sacramento. Cliffs a good guy. They did the tube and knuckle work on my 14b axle. It wasnt that much, but steel pirces went up, so tube will be a little bit more. I bleive it was 350 to retube it, plus materials. Then he'll set the caster and pinion angle too.

14. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I'm puting a Ford 60 under my K5. Using an IFS 241. Swapping Chevy outer parts(doesn't need to happen) but it is a direct bolt in otherwise(just need to make spring plates).

15. mofugly13

Yup, it's out of an '85 so the perches are like 36" on center. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif Theres no way to relocate the perches as the drivers side perch would be too far into the pumpkin.

16. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

that blows, good candidate for a 4 link, coilover rig.

17. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    that blows, good candidate for a 4 link, coilover rig.

[/ QUOTE ]

that'd work or if you did go the long route for retubing the axle or what have you and using chevy parts the pumpkin could be retained. Or the pumpkin and outers could be retained. Just new tubes and axle shafts.

18. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    http://coloradok5.com/forums/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=1173743&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=31&fpart=1

[/ QUOTE ] You love me afterall /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif thanks man, good deed taken /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif BTW ,,,, if you bought my axle, all you have to do is bolt it in.Its like drinking Samuel Adams, Always The Right Decision /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

19. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] You love me afterall /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif thanks man, good deed taken /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif BTW ,,,, if you bought my axle, all you have to do is bolt it in.Its like drinking Samuel Adams, Always The Right Decision /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought you might like that. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

20. MaxCrack

MaxCrack 1/2 ton status

I just put a doubler with a Chevy 203 and Ford 205 in mine to match up to the Ford 60. Of course it cost a bit, but I love the way it turned out.