Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

FORD HP 60.... VTBlazer???

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BIGEARL, Aug 28, 2006.

1. BIGEARL

BIGEARL Registered Member

I was just given an '86 Ford HP 60 and I'm wondering what I'll need to do to get this thing into my '70 K5. I did a few searches and it seems the spring pads are 36.5" CTC where Chevy goes 32". If I moved the passenger side pad in 4.5" wouldn't the axle be off center or is the diff housing spring pad the control point? Am I missing something here?

VTBlazer, I noticed you are running this setup... what did you do to make it work or was it already installed when you bought your rig?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

thanks, Nate

2. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

What about lug bolt pattern? Are they different? That would kinda suck for carring a spare?

3. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

same lug pattern, its 99+ that they went to the metric pattern

4. BIGEARL

Thats a good point Burt.... 2 spares would suck mucho arse. I think MuddyB is right, I havent measured the pattern but they "look" identical. I'm thinking that I could trade this thing for a Chevy 60 but the HP gets major cool factor points.

Nate

5. BIGEARL

After reading more threads last night about some of the complications inherent with this swap, it looks like I'll be seeling this axle. It wasn't the drivers side drop that worries me, it's the fact the axle tubes are not the right length to work on a 1st gen even after moving the spring pads.
    If anyone knows different please drop me a line. An HP 60 would have been sweet!!!

Nate

6. b454rat

b454rat 1/2 ton status Premium Member

While the pass side would be a breeze, why couldn't you build the driver side pad out some, only needs a couple inches. Ah, wait nevermind, had to think about that one, needs to go the other way, don't mind me!!!!! I'm sure that somone will swap for a GM 60 possibly some cash too. The lug pattern is the same, BTW.

7. HoodRich

HoodRich 1/2 ton status

I'm in the same boat right now, only I dont wanna lose the HP 60. Im thinking of modifiying the spring mounts on the frame by widening them. I think I've got a plan to make it all work. By all means though if anyone else that has any experience with this would chime in it would be great.

8. BIGEARL

I really don't want to lose the HP either, but other than pulling both tubes and replacing them with Chevy parts from the housing out I am not seeing any other way. I am curious about your hanger widening idea though.

I'm thinking VT Blazer may be running a 78-79 Ford 60 HP which supposed to be a bolt in as far as the spring pads go.

At least we have some good bartering components!!

thanks, Nate

9. vtblazer

vtblazer 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Sorry, just saw this thread...:doah:

I acquired the blazer with the drive train already installed and have only modified and cleaned up some 'oversights' to make it all work together.

Your correct, it's a 79 front assembly and the springs weren't moved.

It's a pretty cool set up really, seems to have good clearance and good front shaft angle too.
    Fair warning, watch the shaft length.
    I found out the hard way...:crazy: and sheared the back end of my th-400 off.

The Dana HP goes into a furd 203 (drivers side of course) to the 205.

dcp_3829tcase.jpg

dcp_3919flexed.jpg

10. BIGEARL

Nice setup VT, crossover, hi-steer, and high pinion!!!

Sheared the back of your TH 400 off....!!!? Were you driving Dukes of Hazard style?

The driver's side tube on your front 60 looks to be at least 2 inches longer than on the Ford 60 I have... on mine the knuckle starts almost immediatley after the spring pad. I don't think there's any way to make it work with out some serious time and $$$...... I'm gonna sell this furd thing and do a GM 60 swap.

thanks VT,

NP

11. Stomper

Stomper ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ GMOTM Winner

The problem with moding your spring mounts is that your tires will rub on the springs when you turn sharp. You'd be better off in the long run selling the axle you have and finding a 78'-79' hp60. Or 4-linking the front:crazy:

12. Stomper

Plus with that short tube on the drivers side the pinion isn't in line with our t-cases.

13. BIGEARL

I really wasn't worried about the t-case swap, I was going to use a Ford 205 for the doubler if the axle would have worked. For now that HP 60 is gonna have to go in the rack with all the other Chevy parts I seem to be accumulating.

Has there ever been a CK5 swap meet?

Nate

14. vtblazer

vtblazer 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Dukes, good one...:haha:

Fact is, I was just slowly dropping into a wash out going down a small steep and when I contacted the opposite side of the bank that's what compressed the shaft and kicked the t-case out of gear.
    The next time we stopped, I noticed the red snow. :(

It's a good solid set up and if you found the right year furd, you should do it.

15. Stomper

I kind of worded that wrong. The 86' d60's pinion is offset farther to the drivers side than the 78'-79' d60. There for the t-case and pinion ore not inline. That's all I was saying about that.

As for the swap, I've got a 78' ford 60 in my 85' truck. Go for it:D

16. BIGEARL

Ahh, I see what you're saying now Stomper. This axle is a basturd anyway you look at it! I may have changed my mind about going full 1-ton on my current K5 anyway, I'm leaning towards a 14bsf, beefing up the D44 and staying with 36's. Decisions, decisions, decisions.........

I feel like a woman trying on a pair of shoes...

Nate

17. HoodRich

HoodRich 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the insight stomper, looks like I may just have to step up my game and run some CO's.