Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Ford HP D60

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Hossbaby50, May 18, 2004.

1. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I have come across a Ford HP D60. It is in a 78 Ford F250. What are the pros, cons, etc for putting this axle in a K5?

The truck is a manual so it should have a NP435/205 and a D60 rear right? Or is it a D70. I didn't get to look. Is the 205 married or divorced?

I will need a drovers drop tcase I know. I shuold be able to get a drivers side drop Chevy 241 to replace my NP208 right?

What are all the differences I need to know about?

Can you grind the calipers to fit 15" rims? They are probably the dual piston Fords.

I would need to move spring perches and shock mounts won't I?

Can you convert it to Chevy brakes?

The 78 D60 will have the necked down inner axles correct?

I would search, but I am in out of state and I have very limited computer access time. Thanks

Harley

P.S. I can get the whole truck so are the NP435 and NP 205 worth anything to other people (non chevy).

2. rodzzilla

rodzzilla 1/2 ton status

I believe the spring perches are the correct spacing on the 78-79's. I would imagine that you will have to change shock mounts. I believe they have the necked down shafts. I haven't had a chance to tear mine down, yet.

Should have read the whole post, so I wouldn't have to edit. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

The easiest way to convert to chevy brakes would be to switch from the knuckle out to GM/Dodge. NOT the cheapest method. Ford knuckles are rumored to be weaker than the GM/Dodge units. Ford's have a shorter spindle and a 5 bolt pattern on the spindle. You might be able to re-drill the knuckles to the 6 bolt pattern and use that spindle.

Don't forget that the Ford 205 has the beefier output shafts. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

3. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

I read this last week in a garage post, good read, there is a page 2 link at bottom of this page, lots of info . You must of missed it.

Repost of D60 page

4. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

Just installed my this past weekend. Good axle. The big benefit being the HP. I would say the 205 if that is what it has is worth something.

5. OL14BLAZ

OL14BLAZ 1/2 ton status

That 435/205 is a pc of crap. Send them to me and I will dispose of them properly. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

6. rodzzilla

rodzzilla 1/2 ton status

205 will be married. Ford calipers are a little easier to grind to clear 15's. I'd still rather have the GM outers. Just my opinion.

7. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Easier to grind? The Ford calipers (dual piston) I've seen are all but impossible to fit 15s without 2" b.s. wheels...

8. rodzzilla

rodzzilla 1/2 ton status

OOPPPS. Just going off hearsay. I had read somewhere that they were easier to fit due to the dual piston calipers as opposed to the larger single. Haven't tried either. Had enough fun grinding 44 backing plates for 15's

9. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

The 205 will be married? I know my buddies brothers 76 is a 435/205 divorced. The 78 is married though? Thanks

Harley

10. BadDog

Call Matt, he can tell you everything you need to know about the Ford stuff.

11. rodzzilla

rodzzilla 1/2 ton status

Yeah. 78 was the first yr.

12. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

Does anyone make a 15" wheel with a 4 1/4 center hole to fit over a Ford hub /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

13. BadDog

Yeah, most of the wheel manufacturers make them, but you have to get something like 2" b.s. (or 2.5" with some grinding) or something like that... My Unique 21s that cost less than $30 ea. will work except for too much b.s.

14. rich

rich 1/2 ton status

I just parted a 1978 F-150. Had the NP435 married to NP205. Sold the NP435 for $200 almost as soon as I advertised it. Posted the 205 and adapter for $200, but had no interest - I'll probably keep it for a future project, or just to rob the 32-spline? front output from. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Later!
    Richard