Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Ford HP D60

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Hossbaby50, Dec 29, 2005.

1. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

***I would search if I could, but my internet access is very limited and I can't so I need some help here please ***

I may have found a Ford high pinion D60 from a 79 F250. I might be able to pick it up for a good price from a guy I work with. What all do I need to know about swapping these axles in? Are the WMS similar? Are the spring perch widths similar? How much grinding will I need to do to get 15" (4.125" BS) wheels to clear the dual piston calipers? Will Chevy calipers bolt on?

I know that the axle is a drivers drop axle. I have a 208 case so swapping in a drivers drop 241 is an easy fix, and the same guy has the tcase I need too. I know I will have to modify my crossover draglink and also my tierod to get them to work on the D60. That is no big deal. I also know that I will need a D60 steering arm.

Is the ujoint on the Ford D60 still a 1310? Will a chevy 1310 driveshaft bolt onto a ford D60 yoke? Thanks

Harley

2. stallion85

stallion85 1/2 ton status

3. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

It is a direct bolt in.

If memory serves WMS is the same.

Not sure you can grind enough to get over those brakes with that particular rim and backspace. Never tried though.

Chevy calipers won't bolt on.

I believe knuckle on out can be switched to chevy items.

Ujoint looks like a 1310 but haven't actually put a drive shaft on mine yet.

4. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

See if some of the vendors here or on PBB ('Highonda' comes to mind) have started making a GM caliper bracket for the Ford D60. That'd be an easy way to get 15" wheels to work ;)

5. kgblazerfive

kgblazerfive keymaster Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Its too much work sell it to me and save the hassle:D

6. b454rat

b454rat 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I had two HP60s, one had 1310, and one had 1350. It's a Ford thing, I don't understand. Two ways you can run 15s, actually 3. 1, get near zero offset wheels. 2, Run Gm or Dodge from the knuckles out. 3, get custom brake brackets, seen them on Evilbay for around $50.

7. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I have one.

WMS to WMS is the same as a Chevy D60.
    Spring perches are in the same spot as a Chevy D60.
    Ford D60 brakes are the same as Ford 3/4 ton D44 brakes. The calipers hang out way too far to fit 15" wheels with 4" of backspacing.
    All the married Ford D60s had 1310 pinion yokes from what I've read. The uber-rare divorced 205 Ford D60s are the only ones I've seen with a 1350 joint.
    You can swap knuckles-out with a Chevy or Dodge D60. Ford D60 use backwards caliper bracket-spindle combination and have different holes.

Even 44s and a light vehicle like a Jeep will break a Ford D60 knuckle. Plan on buying a set of aftermarket knuckles.

8. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Ford brakes are too big for any 15" rim. Maybe just maybe 2" backspacing...

Otherwise, bolt that baby in! Join us on the dark side :haha:

Oh, and a little stated thing, the studs on a Ford Dana 60 are different size than those on a 14 bolt. Not a real issue, just have to have different lug nuts front and rear. And remember that fact...

9. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

can't happen. GM brakes(even the D44 and 10 bolt) the knuckles are designed for the large single piston caliper. There is an indent in the knuckle to accept the caliper. Ford knuckles do not have that. You may be able to install the 3/4 ton single piston caliper off of a Chevy on the axle, but I didn't go that route because I figured, "I am upgrading everything by installing this, why would I then downgrade the brakes?" Gave me an excuse to buy some H1 rims ;)

10. fordtruggy

fordtruggy Registered Member

What sise tire are you gunna run on the d60?Make sure you upgrade the outers to the bigger spline or that will be the week point.

11. b454rat

b454rat 1/2 ton status Premium Member

12. fordtruggy

A 1350 should be the most common one this is the common sise of even the TTB D44 halftons in the 80 through 96 trucks.

13. CyberSniper

Weird. Every NP205 out of a Ford I've found has either had 1310 or bastard 1330 (AKA Ford 1330) joints. My friend Jared has run into this also... he looked all over for the right yokes for his 1356/205 doubler.

I guess you never know what you're going to find on a Ford, eh? I've only seen 5-6 77.5-79 HP60s in my life so I'm probably not the best gauge.

The 85.5-96 HP60s are an entirely different animal... especially when they were being run with the 1345 prior to being replaced by the 1356.

And we won't even touch the 1/2 ton and 3/4 ton stuff... that's dangerous. They're like a box of chocolates.

14. K10ANDYKHAMNIC

K10ANDYKHAMNIC 1/2 ton status

I put a 78 HP in my truck . I put 3/4 ton calipers on it with my own custom brackets .:D

Last edited: Dec 30, 2005
  15. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I'm pretty certain my 60 has a 1350 joint. It looks larger than a 1310. I haven't really looked into it yet. Not as far as driveshafts at this point :wink1:

16. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

40s and I am completely aware of that. Shafts are the same as a GM Dana 60(no not interchangable same, just same spline counts, 35/30).

17. fordtruggy

If memory serves me wright A 1310 joint will be 3 1/4 inches wide fron cap to cap ends and a 1350 will be 3 5/8s .Hope this helps.

18. Hossbaby50

Thanks for all the help with this guys. There is alot of useful info here.

I am currently running 37" MTRs so breaking a D60 shaft even a neckdown inner or 30 spline outer shouldn't be that big of a worry. I will probably buy some non-neckdown inners and some 30 spline chromo's for the front and keep the original shafts for spares. If I get this axle I am going to let it sit for now as I can afford locker, gears, kingpin rebuilds, wheel bearings, etc. I am going to rebuild the whole thing before I install it on the truck.

I am aware of the knuckle problem so I will probably pay up for a set of Crane knuckles if I am that worried about it. It may be "downgrading" to swap in 3/4 ton brakes but I personally am not that worried about it. A good friend of mine runs a D60 with 3/4 ton brakes and it never had a problem stopping his 6000lb + rig with 38.5" SX's or even the 42's he runs now.

Thanks everyone.
    Harley

19. CyberSniper

Now for the important part. Have you been going outside and petting it once in a while? Things like that need to be petted or they'll turn on you. Mine's sitting outside on the axle rack with half a dozen half ton axles and a couple 14FFs. Like you, I've been saving for a slew of parts.

20. Hossbaby50

I don't actually have the axle in my possesion yet. It is at a guy I work withs house. We still need to determine a price and get the deal done. I think the price will be reasonable since he only paid $200 for the whole truck though. Once I get it I am sure I will be outside just looking at it longingly and waiting for the money to come around so I can afford to work on it and make it a heavy duty piece of offroading equipment. I am sure the process of the buildup will be slow but worth it in the end. I am busy working to make the money to pay off the last D60 I bought. The axle itself wasn't that expensive it was the rest of the Dodge Cummins attached to it that made it pricey. :D

But you have to have a way to get to the trail before a D60 in the trail rig is necessary so the D60 in the form of the Dodge Cummins was a necessity.

Harley