Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Ford Ideas...(hear me out..)

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by ftcjimmy, Nov 28, 2005.

1. ftcjimmy

ftcjimmy Registered Member

OK, so over the summer i lost someone real close to me in a car accident. Within the days following the accident i was given his 87 ford ranger. 2WD, 6" suspension, 3" body, 32" sidewinders, Ghetto modified intake, gutted cats, thrush mufller. 5spd tranny behind a fuel injected 2.9 V6. aluminum radiator.
    Plans:
    -CHEVY 350 small block out of a nova SS
    -auto trany out of same car
    -70's Chevy C&C 14ff. need help finding wms of stock ranger rear, message boards and what not on some ford site are a joke and have no tech info so im looking for a reliable source)
    -Front clip off of same generation, except newer ranger (not sure of uyear split on headlight set-ups. I believe there was 2 in the same gen, so jjust wondering if possible to switch em)

He never liked the truck (well after i made fun of him on the first day for having it cause it was a ford, and his lil cousins chevy being bigger)
    But, since it was his last vehicle, im going to keep it and make it my own as well as a tribute to someone who loved unique vehicles. Im going to try to avoid 4wd because that would give me the potential of offraoding and messing up this truck. Please give me any advice, personal experiences orpossible resources to help me with this project. Thanks.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2005
  2. hunterguy86

hunterguy86 1/2 ton status

www.therangerstation.com

good ford ranger site. I understand what you are doing. I really respect/support what you are doing.

Good luck

3. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

I would go with the ford engine and tranny and slap in a locked 9".

4. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

do only engine and drive train mods that you knowhe wanted, do the exterior as much as possible how he wanted with a bit of how you want then do all the interior of how you want.

that way itsa ride with his heart both your looks and your mind...

kinda like brotherly love.
    Grant

5. ftcjimmy

ftcjimmy Registered Member

thats whats hard though......i made him not want the truck. i kinda hafta do things how i think wouyld be cool just kinda in respect to his love for cars....even if he didnt love this one. jus gotta make it cool. and tho the post precious.....i would do for stuff, but the reasoning behind the chevy stuff is the motor and trnas are coming out of a nova his father boughht to rebuild to keep his mind off things. plus if i used ford stuff that would be to easy and already done, not my cousins style. thanks for the feedback though

6. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

i think it will turn out really nice. i respect what your doing :bow:

7. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

89 - up is newer front clip.

8. d'cheat

d'cheat Registered Member

I used to be known is Pegalis on the ranger station and the Rough Ranger off road club. *founding member of each club* I was one of the first to do a fullsize soild axle swap into a Bronco II, and stuff a Boss 302 under the hood. That was a while ago though :)
    Quick tips:
    1995+ year exploers have rear axles that are perfect for your rig. They are only 2" wider than stock, are 31 spline, have factory disk brakes and many of them have factory limited slip diffs. They put up with 38" tires and HP very well. You will need to weld on new leaf spring perches as these axles had a srping under design.
    Swapping in a chevy V8 will be a bitch of a process. The firewall barely clears the valve covers of a ford 302. Let alone a chevy distributer.
    Your best bet is to get a 4.0L V6. These bolt right up to your transmission. With minor mods, they can pump out 300 HP!

If you wish to do a V8 swap, I allways suggest www.JamesDuff.com for your swapping needs. They provide motor mounts, V8 capable radiators and transmission adaptors.

Best of luck with your project man!

9. RubberFloorMat

RubberFloorMat 1/2 ton status Premium Member

why not do a 5.0, its a much easier swap than a SBC.

or you could get with his family and try to get Overhaulin do it up for ya.

10. unclematty

unclematty 1/2 ton status

yep, alot easier :D