Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

ford oil pressure probs please help!!!!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bigbadchev84, Apr 19, 2005.

1. bigbadchev84

bigbadchev84 1/2 ton status

hey guys this is a ford thing but i really need help!!! i have a 78' ford f150 with a 400m engine and i had a cam go flat in my truck, so i replaced it with a 252-h compcamsand lfter set, i also replaced the timing chain with a non-retarded one.when i got the motor fired up, i had no oil pressure and the lifters wouldnot pump up, so i went to the parts store and bought ahi-volume/hi-pressure pump, my friend told me to check my main bearings while i had the pan dropped. i did and found the crank was severly scored.i had a friend that was parting out his 78' bronco, and i bought the 400m from him. it was completely stock and he drove it into the shop before we pulled the motor. i got it home and installed the rebuilt heads off my previous motor, the new cam, lifters, timing chain, and hi-volume oil pump. i have also installed new rod and main bearings and they are within factory specs. i have also installed the oil pressure line from the front of the block (hi pressure right out of the oil filter to the sending unit at the rear of the motor, and i can not get any oil pressure reading. i have both a factory and a mechanical gauge that i have swapped twice to verify that it is correct. i pulled the oil filter and cranked it over and oil gushes out like crazy. and i have also pulled the sending unit and now oil comes pouring out of there like crazy too. but i still have no oil pressure. i pulled both valve covers and i have absolutly no oil coming to the top end of the motor. what is wrong with this thing!?!?!?

2. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

the enginers at ford had the idea to circle the problem from the start . and thay put those badges all over there products. :grin:

sounds like a pluged hole or missing check ball or somthing along those lines.

by chance you didnt use a whole tube of silicone on the engine ? that stuff is for skim coating stuff not form a gasket use. i have seen lots of people trash motors like that. just a few simple things to check over.

3. bigbadchev84

i have had the oil pan off already and i hardly used any silicone at all, this is 2 motors now that had oil pressure before i started freshening them up, all the oil gallery plugs are treaded in so i know one of them didnt fall apart, here is a link to a site that i have been trying to get help me also and there is a diagram of how the oiling system works on these motors, http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=364786[/URL]

4. Fierospeeder

Fierospeeder Banned

never rebuilt that motor. But is it possible you installed the main bearings or camshaft bearings backwards?

5. bigbadchev84

i never messed with the cam bearings, the mains are in right

6. Fierospeeder

Fierospeeder Banned

its possible one of the oil passages are clogged.

if your really desperite. You can try engine clean in a can. You pour it in your oil, and run it for 5? min and drain it.

7. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Well the only thing common between both those motors is the cam.
    Maby it is bad and has too much clearence or is ground wrong took out the cam bearings somehow.
    Did you degree the cam before installing it? Was it in specs?

8. bigbadchev84

no i just stuck it in there and lined up the timing dots. i am also leaning towards the cam, it is a comp cams and lifter set, has anyone ever heard of getting a bad,defective, or mis-boxed cam from the factory?

9. bigbadchev84

thanks everyone for the help, it ended up that the idiot at the parts store gave me the wrong lifters, i was gonna install a new cam and noticed the lifters had about 1/16" play, new lifters wer tight, i cant believe i never noticed! thanks everyone again