Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Ford Question, yeah I know, brake help please

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by sled_dog, Aug 24, 2004.

1. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Alright I'm Ford stupid, how do I remove these calipers? It looks like they could split apart, you can kind of see it in the third picture. But there is the little bolt I already removed in the second picture that seemed to lock that plate in. Looks like if I pound that plate thing out the caliper will come out but it doesn't want to budge. As usual I don't want to make something move that shouldn't /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Stomper

Stomper ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ GMOTM Winner

You are correct in the second picture....above the arrow there is what looks like a little "I" beam. Drive that out and it will fall apart.

Edit* ok with all that rust it ain't gonna fall apart but it should /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

3. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

the next guy will have it easy, gonna clean up everything and put in new parts

4. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

Aren't those two big bolts holding the caliper halves together? If memory serves they are.

Sled dog, did you remove the little set screws that the red arrow is pointing at?

They are very weird brakes but you'll figure them out. Do yourself a favor and buy yourself a brake hard parts kit when you replace them rusty calipers.

5. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

there was some big bolt in there not a set screw /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif, I removed it just before taking the picture. half of it was ground away I guess to clear rims.

6. Stomper

Yes, the two big bolts hold the caliper halves together

7. Stomper

[ QUOTE ]
    there was some big bolt in there not a set screw /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif, I removed it just before taking the picture. half of it was ground away I guess to clear rims.

[/ QUOTE ]

It takes like a 9/16" socket....that holds the "I" beam.....I'm pretty sure thats the set screw Kert is talking about. (about 1" long thread with 60* bevel and then the head)

8. cow killer

cow killer Registered Member

yes, take out that 9/16 bolt, then hammer out that "i-beam" remember when i did mine at ur house? same idea, just mine is smaller.

9. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

The set screw that retained my I beam peice was removed with an allen key. Little different design I guess but this is why I referred to it as a set screw.

First time I looked at those brakes I thought what in the hell was this guy (ford engineer) on?