Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Ford question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by gravdigr, Feb 20, 2006.

1. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

I know there are ford websites but why would I want to patronize one of those..anyway

My father in law has a '04 F150. Recently the motor started making a tapping/knocking noise. He took it to the dealer and they said that iol changes have to be done using ford filters and oil only (I think jiffy lube did the last oil change on it). Is the dealer blowing smoke or is that for real? Are manufacturers going to start voiding warranties on vehicles if you use aftermarket oil filters?

2. neverendingproject

neverendingproject 1/2 ton status

Thats just something that they get up thier butt. On my old 03, they never said anything when it got worked on. The manual doesnt say anything either

3. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

taps for the Ford??...

My friends dad bought himself a brand new F150 back in 1993 or so..it had a 300 straight six in it..it tapped and knocked for several seconds after starting,especially the first "cold start" in the morning after sitting overnight..

His dad was a perfectionist,and brought the truck in several times and complained it sounded like a "stonecrusher" since day one..the dealer did say they had a few service bulletins concerning engine noises,and piston slap was one they had troubles with,and also Ford discovered the Motorcraft oil filters didn't have an anti-drain back valve to prevent oil from draining out of the filter and back to the oil pan...noisy lifters were noted in many sixes too,on a cold start,due to this..

The dealer was doing all his maintenence and oil changes..one day after his oil was changed,he noticed the dealer put an AC oil filter on it!..the service manager had a tough time explaining why a Ford dealer was using AC/Delco filters,but he convinced him it was due to the lack of an anti-drainback valve in the Motorcraft filter that they substituted an AC oil filter,they were awaiting an upgraded Motorcraft filter #, but none were available yet..

For what its worth,it did help lessen the severity and amount of time the motor knocked upon startup,but not by a great deal...it clattered like a woodpecker every morning for 11 years,and his friend now owns it,with 150,000+ miles on it now..still ticking,but it uses no oil,and still runs good..:dunno:

4. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Fords need a good filter with an antidrainback valve or they can have dry start problems and make noise at startup. Also a good quality oil should be used.You dont have to use Ford stuff... But.... Like most people here. People on most any ford site you go to will tell you FRAM oil filters SUCK! They cause cold start noise in fords. Most of those quickie lube places use fram filters or some filter manufactured by fram. Use a good oil like Mobil, Chevron, Valvoline Castrol, ect and a quality filter like Wix, Napa, Motorcraft/ Purloater, anything but Fram. Should help with the cold start noise.