Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Ford relay setup

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by weisel, May 14, 2001.

1. weisel

weisel 1/2 ton status

How can I put a ford relay on my truck? I know how to hook up all the wires to the relay, but when I run a wire down to the starter, what do I hook it up to? Do I hook it up to the lowermost post?

2. kpanza

kpanza 1/2 ton status

I put the remote starter solenoid on my truck also - I assume that is what you mean? I will check my truck tonight and see where the power wire is hooked up to...I can't remember right now. I got the kit from MAD Enterprises up in Northern Cal - Mark Hamilton is his name, really quality guy.

3. Executioner

Executioner 1/2 ton status

Temp. Ft. Walton Beach Fl. home=Tucson, Az.
    I am not sure I follow your ?
    But you need to engage the little gear( 5-10 theet) to the big ring gear(over 100 theet),this means
    you need to apply 12volts to engage the gears. If you only apply 12 volts to the lower post only the
    motor shaft will turn. Hope this helps ya

4. Bigd

Bigd 1/2 ton status

from the relay you would have too run like a 2 gauge wire too the big post on the starter.Then from the big post run like a 8 gauge wire too the s marked tab just a short jumper.The other small wire that hooks too your starter that powers the truck will have too be run up too the relay now.Hope this is what you where asking.I'm going too do the same setup on mine.

5. weisel

weisel 1/2 ton status

Bingo! thanks for the info, that is what I was looking for.

6. FWP

FWP CRS

Just a suggestion, but the Ford relays aren't all that great[​IMG]. I have replaced 3 in the last 2 years[​IMG]. Go with a constant duty solenoid from an RV dealer.

Where are you in AZ[​IMG], and what are you running. You might want to fill out your profile. HTH

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://fwp4x4.coloradok5.com>http://fwp4x4.coloradok5.com</A>

7. Jason73K5

Jason73K5 1/2 ton status

You'll want to hook up the cable (preferable a 0 or 1 gage) to the large terminal on the battery. You'll also have to make a jumper to the solenoid input on the starter so it will get power at the same time as the starter motor, otherwise the bendix won't kick out and engage the flexplate/flywheel.

8. Bigd

Bigd 1/2 ton status

Forgot too mention that you'll have too run the old soliniod wire too the relay.We have about 8 ford diesel trucks that we drive alot and start and stop about 30 times daily and have never had one go out yet.Maybe the diesel ones are heavyer duty.Our were just lucky.

9. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

I have to agree with FWP about the "ford" relays. I did this to my race car and still kept burning out the relay's. I, in desperation one day, took the relay from my meyers plow to use. That one lasted till I sold the car. 4 years. look the same, but are different inside.

your right. I don't understand the jeep thing!

10. weisel

weisel 1/2 ton status

I have a '77 with a 400ci in it. I just asked, because the top post (with the + cable from the batt.) is broke off, and I have a few ford relays lying around that my dad bought but never used. I also liked being able to tell what was wrong (if the thing wouldn't start), the starter, or relay, on my old ford. It is a lot easier to test if the relay is up on the fire wall and seperate from the starter.

Grind it 'till you find it