Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Ford Shock Tower Problems

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by realsquash, Aug 20, 2000.

1. realsquash

realsquash 1/2 ton status

Hey all. Ever since I found this website, I have no spare time and I'm wearing out SawzAll blades just thinking about it. Anywho, I bought the F250 shock towers and 9012's this weekend and got them installed on my 77 GMC with a D60 in front. All of the pictures I have seen are either automatics or hydraulic clutch (grrrr... jealousy). Well I have the old-fashined rod-n-lever system with a manual tranny and the tower on the driver's side didn't fit like everyone else's. I ended up having to take a large notch out so that I could mount it right over the top of the old "hump" where the OEM shock sat. No biggie, but it sorta had me confused for a minute. With this method, I did not have to move the axle mounts or bend them at all to fit perfectly. Another axle mount option is to buy a pre-bent/drilled shock mounting tab from http://www.performanceunlimited.com and bolt it to the top of the old mount. Well it would work on my D60 with crossover steering. I could not use the OEM mount holes in the frame, either. I had to drill 3 holes in the bracket *and* the frame :(

Just an FYI from a p/u'r to a K5'r. Oh yeah, I mounted the shocks upside down, too, so there! If anyone wants pix, I can supply them. The brackets are still off 'cause I painted 'em.

Squash
    http://www.trailrunners4x4.org/users/realsquash

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I am considering doing the Ford shock tower thing and I also have the "rod and lever" [​IMG] clutch set-up, so yeah I would be interested in some pics![​IMG]
    Has your linkage ever come apart when your truck is flexed out? Mine has a couple of times and it is a pain (literally, I burnt my arm on my header) to try and fix on the trail.

[​IMG]

3. realsquash

I will take some pix tommorow after work for ya. I've never had my linkageg seprate, and theoretically that shouldn't happen because there is a spring holding the clutch fork to the cross-shaft and a return spring from the fork to the frame. I removed the part that goes on the threaded rod that fits into the cross-shaft (you know, the little cube-shaped thing) and replaced with with a heim joint about 3 years ago. That smoothed it out about 50%.

Squash

4. tRustyK5

Do you think you might be able to get a pic of your linkage? I definitely would like to smooth mine out, right now its like driving a school bus [​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. realsquash

I can, but it is just a 3/8 heim joint with a nut on each side and the original adjusting rod going through the eye. The threaded end of the joint goes where the original went into the cross-shaft. No big deal, 5 minutes to do.

Squash

6. tRustyK5

Cool. Thanks for the info

[​IMG]

7. Depdog

Depdog 1/2 ton status Author

I have my own extended shock mounts that I did on my 77 K-5, I to have the manual clutch, I made my mounts in line with the stock mounting hole and at the same angle, so that I did not have to fool with the bottom mount. Now I am going to work on the bottom mount so make it a little shorter and tighter to the axle and try and make the shock extend about an inch more in the process. I have mine very close to max compression when I stuff a front tire and feel I could do more if it were available.

On the clutch, get rid of that coil sprung borg and beck pressure plate and go with the multiple finger one. The pedel effort is cut at least in half and felt more like it was only 1/4 as hard as it used to be. Matter of fact, I told the guy helping me that there was no way the clutch was going to work because it felt so light. Fooled me, the finger one enguages a ton smoother and is lots more friendly on the left leg.

Depdog

<font color=blue>"Lead, Follow, or BECOME the Trail"</font color=blue>

http://depdogsk5.coloradok5.com

8. tRustyK5

You know its funny how you hear what you needed to hear when it doesn't matter anymore. I just put that clutch in my truck 3 months ago. Worse yet, when I asked about the other type of cluch disk I was told there would be no difference in pedal effort! What a dink!

[​IMG]