Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Ford shock towers and 52" springs...who's got'em? General shock mounting ?'s

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Zeus33rd, Feb 28, 2005.

1. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

Just picked up a set of shock towers for my truck today. Got the 52's up front. Does anyone with the 52's use the Ford towers? I'd like to see some pictures of the Ford towers installed with the 52's. Whats the procedure for figuring out where to mount the tower? I've got 14" travel Rancho's- Should I mount them so I've got equal extension and compression either way? How far, if at all, should they be angled back? Did you guys use the stock mounts on the axle or make new ones in a different location? Basically, I just want to see some pictures of different setups using the Ford towers.

Regarding the rear-

I want to mount the shocks on top of the axle with the tops angled in...like this- /___\ Those with this type of set up, how did you do it? Is it spaced more like this- /___\ or more like this- /______\ ? Why did you do it the way you did? How much did you angle them and why? Is there an advantage or disadvantage to the amount of angle on the shocks?

And last but not least, I know someone on here, Baddog I think, has his shocks mounted on the outside of the frame angled forward if I remember correctly. Is there a reason why I should go with something like that as opposed to the inboarded set up? Russ, if it's you with that set up, why did you do it that way? Do ya like it?

Anwways, I'm finally on the downhill part of my trucks build-up. Its been sitting under the tarp with mis matched gears and no front driveshaft for thepast 2 years. Couple days ago I finished regearing the axles and installing the Detroit in the 60. Last night I installed a front shaft for the first time in 2 years and threw the t-case lever into 4wd. Idled right up a pine tree in the yard. :D I've had a smile on my face ever since. Now I'm working on the little stuff like shocks and seatbelts etc. Roll cage is the next and last major project before I can finally start using it. 2 years is a long time to wait. :):D

2. sapper

sapper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I have the towers and 52s, no batteries now but i can post a pic tommarow, i mounted mine right in front of the hump and behind the brake line, i had to do some grinding to make fit in there but any farther back and it wouldve been worthless. Im running the gabrial cheapo 12.5" travel shocks but i set them up for a 14" travel for the future. I just made one like i wanted it with the amount of shock let out then cut the other to match.

3. Zeus33rd

Thanks for the reply...Waitin on that picture. :D

Anyone else?

4. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

Here is a pic of Micah's with 15" travel pro comp shock.
    Shock mount

5. Zeus33rd

Awesome pictures..Thank you. Answered most of my questions with that one and the rest of the pictures in his gallery. Good $hit!:grin:

6. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

pictures

[​IMG][​IMG]I backed the shock tabs right up to the spring pad, figured that would be strongest. hope these help, the crossmember is from Mo. Off Road:
    [​IMG]

7. Zeus33rd

Right on dude...Those pics help alot. What shocks are those? How much travel? And how far apart are the tops of the two shocks? I like that set up...might mimic it for mine. :D As far as the crossmember, I'll just make my own. :)

8. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

if you want me to drive up there so you can get some measurements no problem, you got my number right?

those are 6in lift rs9000's came on the truck, FREEBIE:D
    ill be replacing them with bilstiens soon

9. Zeus33rd

You don't have to drive up here bro. Unless you want to of course. :) Any measurments I could get from your truck wouldn't be of much help anyways as my shocks are longer than yours. Prolly the next full day I'll be workin on the thing will be Friday. You're welcome anytime you want to show up. And I don't think I have your #..Should I? :confused::)

10. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

ya sent you a pm so we could`set up a time to do the rock sliders not this weekend but next?

11. Zeus33rd

Oh Sh!t...I forgot about that..lol! Hmm, Lemme go through my PM's again....Sorry bout that d00d!:crazy:

12. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

no bid deal off to bed got to work at 1:30 am tomorrow

talk to ya later

13. WJACKSON11X

WJACKSON11X 1/2 ton status

Just a couple of pics of the ford shock mounts with 15" pro comp shocks.

HEAVY CHEVY 001.JPG

HEAVY CHEVY 002.JPG