Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Ford shock towers in the rear?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Sandman, Dec 27, 2002.

1. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

I just got done putting on the Ford shock towers in the front and it looked like you could maybe do the same thing in the rear. I have a body lift and if I angled the shocks some it looks real possible. Has anybody else looked into this but found problems? Thanks.

2. fourwheelerjeff

fourwheelerjeff 1/2 ton status Staff Member Moderator

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    just got done putting on the Ford shock towers in the front and it looked like you could maybe do the same thing in the rear. I have a body lift and if I angled the shocks some it looks real possible. Has anybody else looked into this but found problems? Thanks

[/ QUOTE ]

i did a search but couldn't find anything, i thought i remembered reading about this, but maybe not, any, sounds good to me, would be beefier and with the body lift you could get some extra movement, for when you go over those speed bumps of course, just don't tip over /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

3. Sandman

Well, I dont take it in the hills. Its too tall! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

4. Blazinaire

Blazinaire 1/2 ton status

I have been looking at using the f250 towers in the rear as one of my options. It would be much cheaper (and easier) than making a set of hoops for the rear. I figure that they could be mounted in two ways: 1: box a small section of frame and mount the towers to that so that the bolt that goes through the shock would run front to back. That way would probably be the easier way, but then the bushings would not want to move in the same direction as the axle would through the suspension cycle. 2: make a crossmember out of box tubing or channel and attach the towers to it so that the bolts through the top of the shocks go left to right and give the shocks a slight forward rake. this way the shocks would move in the same direction as the suspension and with the forward rake you could fit a longer shock than if it were simply straight up and down. My intentions were to go through the floor with them, but with the body lift you might not have to. The only problem that I have thought of (so far) was how to seal around the towers if they went through the floor, sealing around the shock could be done with a shifter boot with a larger hole cut in it. Then again, I haven't attempted any of this /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

5. DaveCowley

DaveCowley 1/2 ton status

I used Ford Ranger Shock Mounts in the rear of my Jimmy without a body lift to get the shock mounts inside the frame. With RS5112s I get full travel with flipped overloads. Some to spare on the droop too.

Dave Cowley

6. Sandman

Can you post a pic? thanks.

7. DaveCowley

DaveCowley 1/2 ton status

I will if I can find a way, Give me a day or two.

8. Sandman

Thanks. How did you mount them to the axle housing?