Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Ford shock towers w/ manual transmission - problem

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by TX Mudder, Feb 17, 2003.

1. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

I installed the Ford shock towers today.
    Quite unlike the install Steve did in his write-up, mine went anything but smoothly.
    The main problem is that on the driver's side, the Z-bar is in the way. You simply cannot mount it at the angle Steve has done his, when you have the clutch linkage.
    I ended up mounting mine more vertically and then cutting the forward side at an angle so that the shock body would not hit it. It's not at the best angle, but it works.

Just wanting to let anyone that is considering the same thing that it's more work than it looks like.
    On the plus side, I now have about 5.5" of uptravel and 6.5" of downtravel available on my shocks /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I dropped my digital camera and I can't get it to work - I'll see what I can do about pics, later.
    -- Mike

2. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

i see a hyd clutch setup in your future....

pics would be great man. i have another type of ford shock towers. im debating if i should use them or get the ones with the stud at the top vice the ones i have.....
    some day ill make up my mind.
    grant

3. wfo163

wfo163 1/2 ton status

What year is your truck? I have an 83 and the towers went in just as steve's did. I have an sm465 and didnt have any conflicts with clearance.

4. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

The truck is a mix match of years - the frame is a 73 - 80 longbed pickup frame, unsure of exact year. Clutch linkage is 1976, SM465.
    I like the idea of going hydro, but I haven't found a pedal setup for the hydro yet. I guess I need to go yarding.
    -- Mike

5. SCOOBYDANNN

SCOOBYDANNN 1/2 ton status

I had to do the same thing---mine works fine

6. wfo163

wfo163 1/2 ton status

Hmmm... Well I dont doubt that you mut be pulling your hair out on this! Let us know what you find out because I would love to have hydro clutch setup in my rig and I'm kinda lost on what parts to use.

7. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

Here's a pic of the driver's side mount. You can kind of see the Z-bar in this pic.
    This is with the clutch pedal not pressed down. When you press the clutch, the Z-bar swings and just barely clears the Ford shock tower bracket.
    [​IMG] The passenger's side is at a better angle the the bushing is not at such an angle.
    -- Mike

8. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> Yow, that is at a bad angle! I just did the same install on my truck, but rather than putting the tower at that kind of angle I just cut a bit of material off of the tower. If it breaks then I'll just go buy another one, but the angle is pretty good after clearancing it. </font>