Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

ford solenoid conversion

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by big83chevy4x4, Jul 27, 2004.

1. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

ok someone told me i should do it, and now im thinking about it since i have to take the starter off again anyway. (stock solenoid crapped out)

im not sure how to wire it or really anything, i think you'd have one wire going to the starter, right? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

can someone help me out here?
    also how much does a ford soleniod cost usually?
    TIA

2. big pappa b

big pappa b 3/4 ton status

3. dawson444

dawson444 1/2 ton status

Ford solenoids are about $10 probably less.

4. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

Good post, I just talked to friend about doing this. I'm going to look at his this week/end sometime.

Along with his budget crossover setup /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif
    Have him machine, drill and tap my pass knuckle FO FREE /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif

5. big83chevy4x4

ok i should have searched before i posted /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif after a little research i found there are two ways to do it. one being in the link posted above, the other being this

let see, ford solenoid $8 from autozone, chevy solenoid $15 from autozone, /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif im going to do the ford solenoid the second way because its easier to remove the starter. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

6. ugly_blazer

ugly_blazer 1/2 ton status

I just did this on my K20. I mounted the ford solenoid on the firewall next to the ac/heater box, towards the center of the truck. The small wires will reach and not need lengthened.

It was pretty easy to do. Hook the small wires that were with the battery cable on the chevy solenoid (mine was two wires with one terminal) to the ford solenoid post that you connect the battery to. Hook the small wire that was by itself (the one with the small hole in it) to the "S" post on the ford solenoid. Run a cable from the other big ford post to your starter. On the chevy starter solenoid you will need a jumper on the two posts that you took the wires off of, I bent and drilled a piece of 1/8" flat steel (about 1/2" wide) and used it instead of a wire so I wouldn't have to worry about a bad connection.

7. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Re: ford solenoid conversion *DELETED*

Post deleted by HarryH3

8. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

My setup is similar to the second diagram on the Nova post. This keeps the primary power path to the starter going through only one set of contacts, instead of two. However, instead of a relay, I am using a Ford solenoid. The Ford solenoid just provides good current for the GM solenoid, instead of the horrible path all around the engine compartment and through the firewall on that little pink wire.

9. big83chevy4x4

i was thinking the same thing after going to bed. im just going to replace the starter with another one i have around here, throw this one in the core pile and wait till i have no more good ones /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

10. Hardcore

Hardcore 1/2 ton status

My 1990 K5 doesn't start sometimes when its been running a while. You turn the key and it doesn't do squat, no clicking no nothing. The volt meter just drops all the way down to almost nothing. After a hile though it will start right up. It has done it a lot after running a while and even did it once when it was cold /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif Could this be my problem /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

11. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

I installed a remote solenoid awhile back, I bought the Summit kit which is basically the Ford solenoid and some misc wires and small parts. The only differnce with my setup is that my alt charge wire is hooked up right to the battery. I have some pics in my webshots and the instructions that came from Summit Racing HERE But it might be a few minutes until they are viewable since I just uploaded them.

12. Hardcore

Hardcore 1/2 ton status

Anyone /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

13. tree_entz

tree_entz 1/2 ton status

i used to have the same problems, then I installed one of those heat shrouds that covers both the starter and solonenoid, had it this way for about a year w/ no problems. Yes I run headers too.
    (that way you dont have to have any ford parts /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif)

14. big83chevy4x4

if when it does it you can start the truck with a screwdriver (jump it across the terminals) then this will solve your problem.

15. Hardcore

Hardcore 1/2 ton status

Great /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Thanks for the help /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

16. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

hey TJ, why dou you guys want to move the solenoid anyway,mud,easy to get to ??? /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gifto /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

17. big83chevy4x4

i wanna do it mainly because its easier to remove the starter (dam mud /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif) and to help eliminate the header heat soak.

ive crawled under my truck in the mud pit while down pouring, changing the starter 2 times. now i get my truck home and this one went. thats 3 starters in 2 weeks with only about 20 miles driving time. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif