Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Ford tower location - forward of existing mount possible?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by rcamacho, Sep 9, 2005.

1. rcamacho

rcamacho 1/2 ton status

http://coloradok5.com/ranchoreview.shtml

Folks, I'm performing this conversion tomorrow.
    Q: I prefer a more vertical shock position and was wondering if anyone has managed to squeeze the tower forward of the existing mount, i.e. right where the aux shock mount is near the brake line as so:
    http://coloradok5.com/ranchoshockreview/f250installed.jpg

If yes, any pics would be helpful.

9/12/05:
    I ran out of time to complete the mod over the weekend. Rivets and shock bracket are off. For my application it looks like pointing the shocks back toward the stock angle is best. Otherwise I'll incur interference with the stock front-back steering linkage and would also have to re-work the lower shock mount on the axle.

9/16/05:
    Completed the mod. What a PITA. I had to mock up the angles several times. Due to drivers side firewall interference I was only able to get 3" compression stroke on the 5012's. Should be safe with my bump stops but I'll have to ramp to verify. Probably need to revert to 30" shocks for safety.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2005
  2. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

A friend of mine has his forward of the stock mount by about 6".. They are close to staright up and down. His steering shaft rubs the outside of the shock on compression. Just slightly though, enough to run paint off. BUt not enough to dent.

3. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

MTMike runs the newer style ford towers closer than vertical to most.
    [​IMG]

4. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

I've got one of each, and I definitely prefer the newer SD shock mounts. I posted pics of mine (look just like the pic posted) about 6 months ago.

5. BigCountryx

BigCountryx 1/2 ton status

what's the part number for the SD towers? I found a PN while searching, but the local stealership said it wasn't a valid PN. sorry for the hijack

6. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

No idea. I got mine as a pull-off at a local 4x4 shop. All the morons with SDs on 44s with 15" lifts and 10 shocks on each corner (and even those who don't go that far) pull these off to put in the multi-shock mounts.

I went ahead and dug out my old thread which has pics and part numbers...

7. rcamacho

rcamacho 1/2 ton status

Part numbers for SD mounts here:
    http://coloradok5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=146351

$30bones/ea was a bit expensive for my low budget :(

8. mikey_d05

I don't know the part number, just walked to the counter, told them I wanted two front shock towers for an '04 SD and they came through.

9. '71k204x4454

'71k204x4454 Registered Member

I got mine from Jack-it for $10. Just ask your local lift place they might have take offs. Jack-it said they just tossed a bunch.

10. Tom E

Tom E Registered Member

Pics aren't that great cause i took them with my phone, but they are very close to straight up and down. It's close on the drivers side to the steering, but not touching...and the passenger side is close to the heater box but not touching. I'll try and get some better pix with a real camera.

View attachment f250 bracket.jpg

View attachment f250 bracket bad pic.jpg

11. 70jimmy

70jimmy 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Released from Pueblo, told I belong in Southpark
    Mine are close to straight up and down, I notched for the steering shaft to clear better. Mine are the older style. Sorry no pics truck is 20 miles away at a friends shop. :(

12. mouse

mouse 1/2 ton status

I've got a set of the SD shock mounts...not off my SD, but another guy who lifted his. Got them for next to nothing! Now, if Mike just will tell me what shocks work...

13. mikey_d05

The beauty of SD towers is that you can pretty much set them at the height you want. Go measure your travel, find a shock that'll work with those numbers, and set your towers from there. I believe 15" travel shocks are what most people are using.

14. mouse

mouse 1/2 ton status

I'll see what the specs are on the shocks I'm running now...maybe they will work. But, if you're going to run the SD mounts, you should have the full advantage of using longer travel shocks. Bilstein seem the best, but I've never run them. Time for research I guess.

15. rcamacho

rcamacho 1/2 ton status

F250 tower conversion done!

Well, I completed the conversiont this week and finally got the rig off road. I went to Tahuya state forest with a pal. The long travel shocks and ORD swaybar disconnects really work well together. I never lifted a tire. :)

My up travel is a bit limited though since I'm only running a 4" lift. 2.5-3.5" shock travel, probably 4" at the axle. Looks like I'll need to swap to 30" shocks for some up travel safety.

16. MTMike

MTMike 1/2 ton status

The way I have my SD shock mounts my bushings are not at an optimal angle for longevity. Since my rig runs 98% of it's miles off road I'm not too terribly concerned. I set them up for just enough uptravel, and then the rest is set for down travel. I just used the shocks that were on my truck when I bought it with 12" lift. Theyr'e ProComp ES3000, and they've got a lot of down-travel, if that helps.... That's all I know about them :)

[​IMG]

17. moturbopar

moturbopar 1/2 ton status

How high did you mount your mount? I am running a 2.5" lift and 14" travel shocks. flexed I can hit the factory bump stops and still have 1/2" of shock left. I am not sure If I have it set up properly but I feel safer having the bumpstop stoping my up travel than the shock. Mine are mounted at the same angle that the factory shocks were and I have them mounted pretty high up. I had to clearence the body flange on the fire wall on the drivers side to clear the top of the shock. After cutting the spring clamps installing my longer shackles, and the 14" travel shocks I incresed my up travel by 3" and my down travel by 8" with the factory leangth springs.

shock.jpg

18. rcamacho

rcamacho 1/2 ton status

The shock mounts are flush with the bottom of the frame, so they could be mounted 1-3" higher but it would interfere with the drivers side firewall. The passenger side could be raised a few inches as well.